Chapter 17: Set Sail

The Man:

"I'm sorry," the Doc says. "What? What? I'm sorry, what did you say? I'm doing what? What?"

"You're coming with us to Oa," I reply, nudging my head toward the Rusted. "Come on, she's already loaded and ready to set sail."

I reach into my pocket and pull out my cellphone. Activating the Rusted's controls, I watch as a trapdoor opens and a ramp shoots straight up. Falling down a few seconds later, I quickly spread out my arms and push a few people back before it can hit them.

"The ramp is a little longer than I remember," I say, the end of it hitting the front of my shoe. "All aboard."

Taking the first step, I walk onto the ramp before turning around. Oliver and Dinah talk with each other for a few seconds, they nod their heads and take the first step onto the Rusted's ramp.

"No," I yell, pointing and stopping them. "No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No."

"What," Oliver says, he and Dinah back away. "What? What did we do?"

"You two were about to step onto the ramp with your left foot first."

"So?"

"We get better luck if you step onto the Rusted with your right foot. It's a basic rule for any sailors."

"Better luck," Flash repeats, "Oh you have got to be kidding me."

Despite the distance, I can still see Flash rolling his eyes. It takes every bit of willpower I have not to take off my shoe and throw it at the scarlet speedster. It also takes every bit of willpower I have not to throw one of my kungi at the speedster's head.

"Okay," Dinah says. "Besides, from the sound of that message earlier, we're going to need all the luck we can get."

Dinah steps onto the ramp with her right foot, Oliver doing the same, the two then make their way up the ramp. I step to the side and watch as they make their way onto the main deck.

"Hey, this isn't so bad," Oliver says from the deck.

"Thank you," I reply, shooting the couple a quick wave. Turning back to the others, I swing my arm. "Who's next?"

A few shrugging their shoulders but most nodding their head, they all step onto the ramp, right foot first of course, and make their way onto the Rusted. All except the Doc.

"Doc," I yell, "Come on. Get up here."

"You're not kidding," the Doc yells from the floor. "Wait, why do you need me? I'm not a fighter."

"I know you're not a fighter," I say, waving my arm, "But you are a doctor, and we may need a doctor on Oa. So come on. Get up here."

"I'm sorry," the Doc replies, stepping back. "But I can't."

Wiping his forehead, he blinks over and over and turns away. I hear him start to breathe in and out.

"Listen," he says, turning around after a minute or so. "I know, I know, I owe you so much. I mean, after you rescued me from Ace Bar, and gave me a new purpose, but still, I can't leave the base."

Pausing for a bit to breathe in and out some more, the Doc falls over but catches himself on his knees.

"I just can't do it," he shouts. "I just can't do it. I can't leave the base. Okay."

Looking back up, the Doc jumps back when he sees me standing right in front of him.

"What the? How did you do that? I didn't even hear you make a-"

Before the Doc can finish, I wave my hand in front of his face.

Supergirl:

I watch from the ship as The Man waves his hand in front of Dr. Crane's face. I couldn't be sure but from the look of it, it looks like some sort of purple dust came out from The Man's hand. The dust getting all over Dr. Crane's face, he places his hand on his head and stumbles for a bit before falling.

The Man catches him in time, he starts to drag Dr. Crane up the ramp.

"I know, I know," The Man shouts while still dragging Dr. Crane. "This looks bad, but still. You all heard Arisia, right? There are wounded Green Lanterns, and they may need an extra doctor."

"You really think Scarecrow can do anything for some wounded Green Lanterns," Flash says, crossing his arms. "You know, besides put on some bandages."

"You're lucky my hands are full," The Man says, finally reaching the deck. Harleen runs to help him throw one of Dr. Crane's arms over herself. The two now carrying him, The Man turns to us.

"We're going to put the Doc in the infirmary. Since we're heading there anyway, everyone follows me. I'll give you a quick tour of the Rusted."

Once Harleen and The Man put Dr. Crane down in the infirmary, The Man then gives us a tour of the Rusted. He show us the rooms where we would be staying, the battlefield where we can practice, and even the kitchen and dining room.

"You basically have a mini version of your base here," Leonard says when The Man guides us back to the outside. "Like literally, room for room, this is the base. Only smaller."

"Anyhow," The Man starts, walking up a flight of stairs and up to a massive wooden wheel. "It's time. Everyone, get ready. We're setting sail."

Beside the wheel are a bunch of controls. Pushing a series of buttons, turning a bunch of dials, and flipping dozens of switches, the Rusted starts to transform before our very eyes. The sound of metal moving echoes throughout, we all then start to run around to see the transformation.

The entire back of the ship disappears, a bunch of thrusters shoot out and starts to fire, cones of red and orange pushing the ship forward. The front of the ship is about to hit the wall, but before it does, the stick in front starts to light up. A beam shoots out of it a few seconds later, it hits the wall and a massive portal appears right in it, this portal begin bigger than any of the others we have seen.

"Iris," The Man says, leaving the wheel and walking up the side. "If you ever need help with anything, I have an 'acquaintance' here. He can help."

Iris trying to say something, the stick at the front of the ship passes into the portal. The second it does, the portal unleashes a powerful windstorm that blocks her. All I can hear is the wind as it tries to push the ship back.

The Man:

"Everyone hold on," I yell, the wind from the portal threatening to push all of us back. Turning my head, I see Iris and Kent rush inside the elevator.

"At least they're safe," I think, turning back as I increase the thrusters' power. The thrusters are now at 80 percent power. However, even at 80 percent power, the winds from the thermosphere still push back with all their might.

"Come on baby," I say, increasing the thrusters' power to 90 percent. "I know it had been a while, but we need you. Come on, show us what you got."

Rusted hearing me, she pushes on through until we are finally through the portal and in space.

The planet Earth is behind us and in front of us is a sea of stars.

"Oa is about three days away," I say, watching as everyone gets up from the deck after laying flat down on it. While they get up, I thank the Rusted and pat her. Lowering the thrusters' power to 20 percent, I activate the ship's solar sails and let the sunlight take over.

"Until then, everyone gets comfortable."