Chapter 46: B.U.Gs

Atrocitus:

I look at the door to my cell as it opens. Even before I can ask, a green beam shoots in and ties my hands together. The beam pulls me out and I fall onto a green platform. As I push myself up, I look around and see myself surrounded from all sides by green lanterns.

"Atrocitus," Salaak says as he flies forward. Hovering in front of me, he raises his glowing green ring. "It's time."

The Man:

My platform shoots up from below. When it reaches the Rusuted's deck, I jump from it and the platform disappears.

"Hello," I say, greeting Oliver, Flash, and Hal as I pass them. "I hope you are well, Oliver."

"Uhh," Oliver says, looking at Flash and Hal. "Thanks. What are you doing here? And what are you covered in?"

"It's called soot," I answer, turning at Oliver before looking down at my phone. "By the way, I'm done fixing the thrusters. Where are the others?"

"They're checking on the ship," Oliver answers. "You know, making sure everything is okay. Again, what are you doing?"

"I'm trying to save Atrocitus," I answer.

"Trying to save Atrocitus," Flash repeats. "Wait, what are you talking about?"

"The Green Lanterns are on the verge of executing Atrocitus, and we're too far away to save him. I have to move fast."

"Executing Atrocitus," Laria screams, running up the stairs and leaving Cheetah behind. "What are you talking about? Wait, what did you hear from the bugs?"

"Bugs," Oliver asks. "Wait, did you leave bugs on Oa? Is that what you two are talking about?"

"Yes," I say with a nod of my head. "Shortly after Atrocitus was taken and Laria and Arisia 'joined' us, I pulled from my pockets two B.U.Gs and programmed them to fly and be my ears."

"Bugs," Cheetah repeats.

"Bio, undercover, gadget. B-U-G. They emit a signal that mimics bio-life so they'll be hard to detect. If someone did detect them, they would only see two flies."

"Well besides pretending to be alive," Laria says, "Can your bugs save Atrocitus?"

"You want to save Atrocitus," Flash asks. "I thought all you green lanterns hated red lanterns."

"My mind was changed very recently," Laria replies. "Again, can your bugs do anything to save Atrocitus?"

"Unfortunately, no. They can explode, but I feel like an explosion isn't what is needed at the moment."

"Well, if your bugs can't do anything, then I'll go."

Laria raises her hand and jumps but I stop her.

"Don't go," I say, Laria stopping.

"Why not? If I leave now, I can get back to Oa--"

"By the time you get back to Oa," I say, cutting Laria off. "It'll be too late. Atrocitus will be gone, and you'll be entering enemy territory."

"So what do we do," Oliver asks. "How do we save Atrocitus?"

"We ask for help," I answer.

Ganthet:

I couldn't stand it. I feel sick to my stomach.

"We are supposed to be defenders," I think, "We are supposed to protect all life. This isn't protecting. We're ending someone's life. Even if that someone is an enemy of the Corps., we have never ended a life. What happened to us?"