25. To help

[WE JUST SMASHED THAT 8K READS AND 500 VOTES MARK. THANK YOU. WHY DO YOU EVEN READ THIS]
Vanessa's point of view
"Happy New Year!", Anthony drunkenly shouted.
Everyone cheered at that, the clock almost midnight.
Anthony & Lin clinked their red cups, Lin giggling like a five-year-old.
The New Year's party's planning had been going on for months, mainly Pippa, Jazz & Javi as the minds at work.
Lin suddenly clinked on the big piano in the middle of the room, making everyone jump at the slightly high chord.
"Okay. Before this young night turns into a whole new world or year, I'd like to say a few things", he started, everyone in there gathering around. "This musical has been my life for the past few years. This year it opened, all thanks to y'all special lot. My son turned one, and a certain 14-year-old girl entered me & my wife's life",  I smiled at Rue, who were blushing, standing right next to me as Lin winked at her. "I couldn't ever be more grateful. Thank you for this year that has passed, let's make the next one even greater & the greatest!"

Sebastian and Tobi were over my parents' house, which they were more than happy about. I could already picture them watching Chuggington, my Dad rather asleep with Tobi on him and Sebastian excitedly watching the show, because he knew he could watch it for as long as he wanted to.
My mum would wake my Dad up right before the clock strikes twelve, all of them looking out of the window on the third floor, getting a good sight of the fireworks.

As I would casually chat to Renée, Rue joined in too.
To celebrate the day of the change to a new year, Rue had added a moon on the other side of the cast - matching the scribbled sun.
I worriedly glanced over at her as I saw her arm tap against the wall behind us - trying to come up with something to figure out why.
Lin walked over to us, his hair in a sleek ponytail.
"Soon it's the beginning of a new year, and I just keep on falling more and more in love with you, V", he said. I smiled, blushing as he kissed me. "This past year has been an absolute blast. I can't even picture a day without you, Seb or Rue", looking at Rue, who'd been given a piggyback by Daveed to the biggest window of them all, excitedly looking out - wearing an oversized sweater, a slightly glittery dress under.
I smiled, glancing back at the face that always made my days brighter.
"I love you, Lin", we did our secret handshake. "I'm so happy we took her in", I added, making Lin nod like crazy.
"Best happening of 2015", he said, as we heard Jonathan and Anthony trying to drown out each other, shouting louder and louder.
"TE-", Anthony cutting him off.
"TEN!"
"NIIINE"
We let out a laugh, but joined in on the countdown as we quickly skipped over to Rue.

As the clock stroke 12, big bangs and cheers came from all over the room and city.
Rue giggled, leaning onto my shoulder, telling us those next few words.
"Happy New Year, you guys"
Oh, wouldn't you just look at the fireworks?
How they light up the night sky.
The lights in my life.

I was trying to wake up my husband the next morning, as he would dig his head into the pillow.
"V. Just five more minutes", Lin groaned. The truth was that I had only awoken five minutes ago.
I let out a laugh, pulling the blanket off of him. Wearing a FUN HOME t-shirt,  and checkered pyjama bottoms - same as  mine - he pulled it back, over himself again.
"It's one pm. C'mon, it's leftover pizza for breakfast. Your son will be here in about 15 minutes, dog too", and with that he was up and about, making a dash for the kitchen. If it was for the excitement for Sebastian, or the pizza, I couldn't tell.
"I'll go get Rue then", I bubbly added, giggling as he excitedly picked out the pizza boxes from the fridge.

I turned back to Rue's room, lightly knocked on there door.
If I listened closely, I swear I could hear her mumbling for herself.
"Rue? It's breakfast, niñita", I said, and now I was most definitely certain she was crying.
"-I just need get this done..., I'll be there... in a minute...", she explained, gasping for air between a few amount of words.
I just shook my head, and pushed the door open.
The sight was almost as I'd imagined it, still not quite.
I ran to Rue, sat down quickly next to her, on the floor, in front of the wardrobe.
All her clothes were spread out, each and every piece of clothing. All in specific piles, some of them inside the wardrobe.
Her arms were moving quickly, putting in clothes, and then out again.
I was speechless.
I couldn't just ask her, so instead I embraced her into my arms.
I just hugged her.
"Take it easy, girl. It's all alright", I said, my love for her totally exposed. I couldn't let this go on.
In my ear, her uneven breathing could be heard between the weeps.
We just sat there.
Until she uttered those next few words, when she let go of me.