9. To laugh

[lemme just say, 1k, hey that's wayyy more than I thought, and I love y'all💗]
Most people would say that it was mental, that you just didn't move in at someone's house without really knowing the people who lived there. At least, that was my reality, all and every bit of the last few years. It was unusual, weird, but not the slightest of mental. It was only me that thought this was just like everyone else.
And Sherlock, for that matter. He thought it was totally fine for John to move in, then and there.

"So you'll get the guest room, we haven't really had time to decorate though", Vanessa said happily, a bit worried, as they showed me the room.
Five minutes earlier I hadn't even seen the apartment where I was going to live. With them.
I glanced at it, the bed in the corner, white and blue-dotted bedding, a bookshelf over it. Next to the bed stood a desk, right by the window looking out over New York City. White walls, a pastel red rug, big wardrobe, a new-looking marine blue armchair.
The tiny room - a perfect size - making it feel cosy.
"It's lovely, I promise, decorations are not needed. Thank you", I couldn't ask for more, it was more than I ever needed.
I placed my two bags next to the bed, noticing their smiles as I turned back.
"Sorry to break this to ya, but we're gonna redecorate", Vanessa said, giggling.
"O-okay", I said, honest, accepting her statement.
Maybe it wasn't a normal teenage girl's room. But, it was enough. Although, I wouldn't mind to put a few things of myself in there.
Now it was Lin's turn to giggle.
"Well, make yourself at home, my friend, and well Harry Potter and the sorcerer's stone later?"

I didn't unpack.
It felt wrong, like every single time I moved in.
It would probably take too long, and then they'd get annoyed because it took too long, and then I'd feel bad about it.

I took a shower.
First time when warm water hugged my body in a few weeks. Or months. Two minutes of hot water, I couldn't break that border. It should always be 2 minutes.

I put my pyjamas on, and a hoodie. I tried to ignore the unpacked bags on the floor, telling myself that I could do it in a week or so. At night.

When I came out to the living room - about 15 minutes after they'd told me to 'make myself at home' - I saw Lin drinking coffee, tweeting, while the film menu was showing on the TV. Vanessa and Sebastian walked into his room, when Lin stopped.
"Wait! I'll tuck him in tonight!", excitedly shouting his command, Vanessa laughing as she sat down on the sofa, right by me.

And the nice evening turned into a nicer evening as we sat there, watching Harry Potter, the world phenomenon that I'd always related to.

I walked away when the film ended, saying 'good night', and quickly tip toed into my room, not really wanting to bother them more today.
My alarm on my phone was set on 5:45. Like always.
I closed my eyes, trying to sleep, as the door peaked open and a light reached inside.
"We did good, right, V?"
"Yeah. Yeah. I think so"
You did.

My alarm took off as it always did, I blinked my eyes open almost immediately and pressed it off. My sight started off blurry, but soon was able to see the dark room. The world outside wasn't light yet, like it always was in late November.
I couldn't hear a sign of movement, the quiet filling the whole room.
Maybe I shouldn't get outta bed just yet.
Wait until they are awake.

I looked up at the ceiling, counting for no reason. Just laying there, waiting.
I blinked one eye seven times. Then the other one.
Both 23 times now, or your eyes might get too dry.
I sat up and grabbed my phone, while counting my blinks. In the search bar, I wrote: 'what happens if your eye gets too dry'.
Reading all the different websites, I started to worry. Could I get that syndrome?
And then you'll make Lin & Vanessa's life even harder.
A non-stop, frantically blinking, 23 ones in pairs, until I finally felt that it would be alright after 7 minutes.
Did you press your alarm off?
So I checked that 7 times.