6. To be: thrown

[ ok almost 500 views wUT ]
Lin's point of view - few days earlier
Her scream when she got dragged into the cab two weeks ago never left my mind, not for a single millisecond.
Neither did it leave Vanessa, as she pressed charges against the System of us having rights to get Ruth's number.
"Oh, yeah, of course I understand, mr Miranda. But we can't hand people's telephone numbers to anyone. Ruth Leighton is doing fine, and is in a loving home right now. You and your wife have nothing to worry about", and with that he hung up.
"Bullshit", I said clearly. Vanessa sighed, sitting right by me. Half by my decision of words, since Sebastian sat in front of the TV, watching Chuggington, and half by the frustration from not succeeding.
"Lin, hand me my laptop", speaking with an angry undertone. Placing her laptop onto her lap, walking over to Sebastian while talking to her.
"What are you going to do?", as the tapping accelerated. I sat down beside my son, he climbing up on my lap. "Hi there, Homeboy! Chuggington great?", Sebastian clapped his hands, nodding, while I turned my attention to Vanessa again.
"I'm gonna write a very angry email"

Ruth's point of view - current day
Ms Clark gave me an irritated glance, as she came inside the house. I still hadn't given Lin and Vanessa's messages a look.
Maybe, if you tap the floor 74 times they'll stop caring about you.
"Ruth! Come with me", she said, but I was only at 68.
Just six tap more. Quick.
Tap. Tap-tap-tap. Tap-tap.
I stood up, breathing out, I managed to do it 74 times.
I walked behind her, out from the house. The Lovells pointing at me.
"This was all her fault!", mr Lovell argued with the policewoman who'd woken me up.
It was my fault, wasn't it?
I got shoved into the car, her mini, after carefully avoiding any cracks on the way, as ms Clark sat in the front and began to drive. Hell broke loose.
"Thank you for this, Ruth! Firstly, they want you outta there and we take you to an awesome placement home, then you run away, goes back to them to say that you wanna come back, then you ran from them and goes missing, and now that you're back you host a party and every single neighbour wakes up and calls the police because of 'suspecting of underage drinking'? Don't you think I've got plans for my own life?! I don't wanna drive and pick you up at 6 in the morning!You're just so f*cking unthankful. You get to live with a loving family. I'm handing your case to mr Chang from now on", she almost shouted, driving like a maniac on the streets of New York, when we finally come into the city.
Her words hit me more than usual. I used to see her as a sweetheart. But, I made her life to hell.
You are bothering her. You are in her way. Blink your eyes 23 times.
A silent drive to the office, while I made myself do things including counting, tapping, just to solve things. The things I do. What everyone did.

Mr Chang met us at his room, placing me in an armchair in the corner, while they stood outside, shouting angry sentences at each other. All while everything was building up inside me. The papers on his desk was spreaded across it, almost like confetti, and in my mind I could only think about that their shouting was because of me. And I knew that.
Hey, Ruth, if you twitch your head seven times they'll stop.
One, and I could feel all the anxiety just pouring out of my head already, two, three...
The two of them walked in, extremely straight faces, looking strictly at me. I immediately stopped my twitching, closing my eyes harshly as a way of begging for waiting out the anxiety. Opening them again, I twitched a fourth time. Then a fitfh. I had to do seven. The last two remaining I did almost unrecognizable.
"Ms Clark has handed your case to me now, ms Leighton", mr Chang said and by that she walked out, muttering something. "I currently have no foster family for you, Ruth. You'll have to go back to the placement home", I nodded, while his fake empathy eyes glared at me.
I was a ping pong ball, getting thrown to different sides between different watches, the light little ball everyone tries to hit harder and harder, just to win, not caring about how harshly the other side will smash it.
But, at the home I felt safe. Locked doors. No one could enter. There were the people inside there that frightened me to my full capacity. Someone drove me there, I felt numb. Maybe I really was a ping pong ball? Hit by all, no one really cared if smashed. But, if I was gone, everyone crept back, looking for me.
As I entered a room, being led by mrs Abbott, watching the cracks in the old wooden floor, I silently sat down on the top bunk. Living in the three doors down.
This is all your fault, Ruth.
Go think about your actions.
Tap everything in this room 7 times, otherwise your parents will die. You will make them die. It'll all be even more your fault.
I jumped down from the top bunk, relieved that everyone was in school for the moment. Breathing heavily as I counted every thing, each thing, each tap, to seven.

Policemen and women walking in and out of that door a million times the whole day, until ms Abbott kindly asked me if I wanted to go and buy groceries with her while mr Morrison could handle the home for an hour.
"You should take a break, Ruth", and by that I politely nodded, not wanting to ruin her day too. I grabbed my coat, while dragging my legs after me walking behind her. Just as we were about to leave, standing by the vintage-looking door, mr Morrison came running in with a phone in his hand.
"Um, um, ms Abbott, a certain mr Miranda would like to speak to you", holding his hand over the speakers, his scratchy young voice a bit shaky, a little unsure of what he was doing.
In my head, I couldn't help but wonder. A certain mr Miranda?
"Oh, that man's been tryin' to talk to Ruth all day, just put him on some appointment tomorrow. Ms Leighton's been through enough today, in my opinion", ms Abbott said, a bit annoyed, turning formal by the end of the sentence. "C'mon Ruth, we have a list to go through today. My usual order went wrong, I suppose it's the web page they told me to use", angrily taking the bag she always used when going to the supermarket. I just shrugged my shoulders by her statement, trying to put my second shoe on, the right one. Always the left one first, always.
I collected the last bit of hope I had, standing up, while asking her what'd been tattooed on my mind for the last two minutes.
"Um, ms Abbott, has mr Miranda called a lot of times?", she snorted.
"Yeah, and his wife too. It's really irritating", while stepping down the stairs in a speed you'd never thought a 60-year old woman would've done. "You don't know him, do ya?", and I silently nodded in response. "Well, you're not allowed to talk to people outside the home, and you know that", I desperately inhaled, and by the sight of me, she laughed. "I'm not gonna tell the system, sweetheart. They'd probably skip your file when searching for a foster home then", I hadn't tripped on a single road crack yet.
"Thank you"
"'Cause, y'know, I want you outta my placement home, I mean you only bring trouble, sweet child"
What if that trouble strikes Lin & Vanessa? What if you hurt them too? What if you screw up their lives too?
Don't you dare stepping on a crack.
Entering the supermarket, thoughts flashing through my mind. Standing behind ms Abbott as she dropped more and more groceries in the bag. I tapped every little thing she put in it seven times, each light touch making me feel safer.
-----
Hoi! Stopping the chapter right there, hopefully the next one will turn out to be a little more exciting since this turned out to be a rare filler chap🌌
Besides that fact, maybe leave a vote or a little comment? Because they all mean so much to me tbh💗
School's out for Christmas! I've finally gotten all of my grades, and oml tbh I can't comprehend how I got a grade higher in PE? Like. I'm a seal. Potato. Clumsy like crazy. And I get a C? SO FLIPPIN HAPPY. (Swedish grade system: E - you passed all requirements. C - you passed all the middle-requirements. D - all on E, more than half on D. A - you passed all the highest-requirements. B - all on C, more than half on A. This means that if you have everything on A, except you've got an E in one requirement, you get a D. It sucks) (you stress yourself out) (it was worth it though)🌊
Yes! I updated right before Christmas! Going to write stuff tomorrow also, so hang around🐝
Also here's my Instagram for those who'd like to follow meeee: @/chilnava. I edit doctor who stuff, but put Hamilton lyrics in the edits some days wooo🎄 And, if you did not know, the cover for this story is made by me. What do you think about it?💕

Published; 22nd of December, 2016