2. To wake

[Hey! Thank you for the support on my last chapter, 24 reads in three days, what?!? And three votes?? It means a lot!💓]
-
Lin's point of view
I saw the crowd making way for a brown haired girl with uneven spots of blonde hair. She seemed to be shaking, and in the corner of my eye, when Daveed started rapping, I saw her falling to the ground.
"Ey! Stop the music!", I shouted, Daveed looking weirdly at me. "Get her outta there!", I told them, and before I thought about it, I took her in my arms when Andy had jumped over the fence to pick her up. Waiting for him to get over again, I looked around, a bit stressed. As soon as Andy was over, I handed her over to him.
"Take her inside, give her to Vanessa, she's here for a few hours", I told Andy calmly. He sprinted inside, and gone with the light girl behind the door. I walked up and stood beside Daveed again, he smiled and nodded. I took the megaphone.
"Sorry about that, let's not let it happen again, shall we? Take care of each other", I said, a bit worried about the girl. She'd looked so scared there, and caught up in the moment. The girl didn't freak out because she was starstruck, more because she got pushed. She was scared. "Shall we start over again, then?", I asked, smiling. Everyone screamed back, like what'd just happened been forgotten.

Vanessa's point of view
I saw Andy running in with a girl in his hands, I stood up, while Sebastian held on tight to my leg.
"What happened?", I said, a bit shaken up.
"She passed out by the crowd pushing her, Lin told me to take her inside", he said, placing her gently on the couch. "I don't know how he spotted her, she was literally in the middle of the crowd. No casual fangirl though, I can tell you that", he said, rushing out again. I stood still for a second, not really knowing what to do. Until, Sebastian hopped up by her side and placed his tiny hand on her hair.
"Sleepy", he said, looking up at me. I took him into my arms, stroking her on the cheek. Her makeup seemed to brush off, and unmasking a hidden bruise. I gasped, and took my hand away by surprise. Trying to distract myself from the thoughts of worrying, I turned to Sebastian, smiling.
"Yeah, she's sleepy", I said. "Shall we go and get her a blanket?", he nodded excitedly, the way only a one year old can.

As I put the blanket over her, I couldn't help but wonder what had happened to her. The light body was extremely bruised, skinny and dry. It looked like she hadn't slept for weeks. Deciding that trying to wake her up was a bad idea, I sat down in the armchair across the room with Sebastian, now sleeping, in my arms. Looking at them both.
Yeah. Sleepy.

Lin came in running about fifteen minutes, kissing me on the cheek, almost directly looking over at the girl.
"Not woken up yet?", he said, worried.
"No, I figured it was for the best. Although, I think she's asleep now. Normally you just pass out for a few minutes, she's been out for about half an hour", I said, a bit concerned. Lin nodded.
"She hit her head pretty hard too", he said, going to her, patting her uneven blond hair. "I'll go get some ice to keep the swelling down", and at that line, Sebastian woke up again.
"Papa!", he said, jumping off me to Lin's arms.
"Kiddo!", smiling and holding him tight. "Wanna go get some ice for the girl, what do you say?", Sebastian clapped his hands, and Lin started laughing. "I'll take that as a yes", he said, leaving. In the doorway, Lin turned around. "Thank you for keeping an eye on her. I'm so sorry this happened when you had a day off, I just couldn't ignore her", sighing, looking at me.
"It's fine, Lin. If you'd left her in the crowd, I'd been mad at you", I answered, laughing a little. He smiled.
"Yeah you would", and with me saying that, he left. I walked over to the tiny girl. How old could she be? Maybe 12, or 13. Bruises all over her body, and after I'd brushed her makeup off with a towel, and besides the bruise, I could also see a blackeye.

As Lin came back into his room, he had Daveed close behind.
"Lin, she's got bruises all over her body", he walked over, placing the ice bag on her forehead.
"Whatever happened, these you don't get by falling over", he mumbled, "Did you look through her bag? Maybe we can find out her name", I shook my head, and Daveed precisely took her bag up, zipped it open. Looking through the folders, he carefully picked her belongings out of the bag, shaking his head.
"Nothing in here, nowhere. Not even on the patch where every single parent write their kid's name", Daveed said, sighing. "Guess we'll have to wait for her to wake up"

Ruth's point of view
I slowly opened my eyes, flickered them a little to make the world around me seem sharp. The light in the room was dampened, not too strong. I put my arm on my forehead, only to feel, what probably was, an ice bag. I groaned by the pain running through my body as I took it away and hit my head with my elbow.
"Auw", I mumbled. I started to look around in the somewhat messy room, seeing a woman sit in the armchair beside me, turning her head to mine.
"Ah, you're awake! We thought we'd have to call the hospital soon", she said smiling, putting her laptop away. "I'm Vanessa, what's your name?", the woman, Vanessa, asked. I suddenly remembered everything going black in the middle of the crowd.
"Oh, no, I passed out, didn't I?", I said, putting my hand up to my face, covering it. This, because I felt a little dizzy.
"Yeah, yeah, you did", she said, putting her hand on my shoulder.
You've disturbed their day. Tap your knee fifty times, otherwise the Lovell's will find out.
"I'm so, so, sorry. I-it, please, you shouldn't have done this, it's my fault you spent time on me, I can go now, but thank you, and I'm so sorry, again", I rambled, gasping for air during the last sentence. Tapping my knee, 1, 2, 3, 4...

Suddenly a Puerto Rican man stood in the doorway, beaming at me.
"Oh, I see, you're up!", I looked down, trying to comprehend everything. 12, 13, 14, 15, 16...
"I'm so sorry you had to take care of me, you didn't have to do that all, thank you, I promise, I'll go now", I told him, almost repeating what I'd just said to Vanessa, only now realising I was talking to Lin-Manuel Miranda. The guilt inside me grew, I'd been taking up a part of their day. Standing up, grabbing my backpack, but Lin placing his hands on my shoulders, gently pushing me back onto the sofa. He took a calming grip around my arm, making me unable to tap. Lin squatted down in front of me to eye-level, looking into my eyes.
"Hey, you, take it easy, we need to know your name", talking fast, but calmly. I looked down to the right, not wanting him to find my lifeless eyes. Swallowing anxiously as they patiently waited, having an inner conversation with myself, deciding if I should I answer or not.
Don't answer, they'll hurt you.
No, answer. They'll help you.
"...Ruth", I said, finally speaking, still not wanting to look into his eyes. But, I could almost feel their smiles.
"So, hi Ruth. How old are you?", he asked, a bit concerned. Like he was worried about me.
"I-I'm fourteen", I answered, finally looking up. Vanessa still sat beside me, her hand calmly on my shoulder. Lin seemed to look surprised, but soon took away my uneven hair from my face.
"Thank you. Can you answer one more question, you think?", Vanessa said. I nodded, almost unnoticeable. "What's your surname? You've been out for a few hours, we'll have to call your parents", by the word 'parents', I started to panic. Before that, I heard 'hours', and I began to worry.
"Wait, what's the time?", I almost spat out, desperately looking around in the room for the closest way out.
"Um, 5 pm?", I gasped as Lin answered.
"I really gotta go", jumping up from the couch, sprinting to the door. Under my breath, my thoughts started to speak out to reality. "They're going to kill me, they'll hit me..."
You didn't tap your knee fifty times, Ruth.
"Ey! You, stop, we're trying to help you!", Lin shouted, only trying to be kind, close behind me, I went up a level in running. "Oak!", Oak stood in the doorway, almost succeeding in stopping me. I dodged under his arm, and ran out.
Just running faster and faster, a thought started to form in my head.
Tap every post lamp six times the whole way home.

I opened the door, my hand dirty from dust. I silently took my shoes off, and quickly tip toed into the kitchen to get to the stairs.
There, they all sat, staring at me, blaming me.
"Ruth, where have you been? 5 pm was 24 minutes ago", mr Lovell told me, hatred leaking out from his eyes. I breathed heavily as I stood up, walking towards me, closing his fist.
"S-sorry, I-I forgot the time, please -please don't h-hurt me..."
But my begging was for nothing, as he started to slam his fists on me.
This is your fault. You didn't tap your knee. You missed a lamp post.
-
So, second chapter. Whiee! I really want to update this a lot, because I love writing it. But, to me, the most important thing is what y'all think👀
So maybe leave a comment?💓
It would be the greatest thing ever!
And maybe vote too? Thank you!
Also, I'm Swedish so, sorry about my grammar or weird sentences🙈
Sincerely,
C

Published; 29th of November, 2016