74. To: be okay

[A/N: Are y'all ready for a new chapter? Get something to drink and snack on, it's a good one❤️]

Lin's POV
It was the day after, around 8 am. Rue seemed more at peace, even though she had woken up screaming during the night. And I knew we were going to have to get used to that now. Yet, she was still jumpy, and slightly stressed. But better. Like she had gotten what she needed off of her chest. Though, even now, she was consumed with her own thoughts. As if she was trying to sort out everything, and not really knowing how to move on.

I was helping Sebastian to put on his shoes, but at the same time he was trying to crawl out of my arms - desperately trying to get back to his train track on the playmat. At the same time he was humming a rendition of Twinkle, twinkle, little star, though he did not know the words.
"There we go, bud", I said, kind of exhausted, as I finally had managed to tie the last shoe. Vanessa laughed at me as she walked past with a cup of tea in her hand, headphones in her ears, participating in a meeting from home. I knew very well why. "I know that I insisted on these shoes. Next time, it'll be Velcro ones!", I told her, realising my mistake. She laughed again, smugly this time as she walked off to the living room. I struggled as I put on his red jacket, because Sebastian clearly wasn't chuffed about that either. It was just one of those days.

"Hey, Lin...", Rue wondrously said behind me, her voice clear, but still unsure. I instantly looked up at her as I put Sebastian down to the ground, still holding him tightly so he wouldn't run back inside. "C-could I come with you to the Theater some day?", and as I watched her, I could see how she had to fight to get the words out. Yet, I was so relieved to hear her talking.
"I j-just feel like I haven't seen those people in ages...", she started to explain herself, but I just cut her off.
"Sure, Niñita", I told her, excited about her attempt to try and get herself out of her box, as I tried to support her. Although, I was still worried that I had spoken too soon; because it was only yesterday that she had been quiet. "Just tell me when", I grinned at her, and Rue even smiled a little back at me. It warmed me more than I could describe. She nodded and walked off to her room, keeping her head down, looking at her fiddling hands.
I turned my head towards Sebastian and handed him his small, colourful, backpack. He shook his head, refusing to put it on. I gave up and I put it over my shoulder, while I picked up Sebastian simultaneously. The Twinkle, twinkle, little star was still going strong. I hummed along with him.
"Ouf", I said, as I struggled to try and collect all the things. "You're getting so old, little man!", but Sebastian just giggled. "Let's get you to daycare, shall we?"

I opened the door swiftly, and stopped instantly as I was about to crash into someone.
"Woah-", I said, realising I had almost smashed the door into Dominic. "Hi Dom!", I told him, a little surprised to see him.
He seemed unfazed by the door and then me almost crashing into him. More or less, he looked a little amused by it.
"Hello!", he said, about to crack up. "Sorry, I was just about to knock-", I shook my head.
"No, no. I was just about to head out, my hands full, so it's completely my fault", I said, shaking my head with Sebastian still humming in my ear. "What's up?"
"Is Rue home?", he asked kindly, still unfazed by the situation. He didn't even seem nervous.
The question was familiar. We had been here before. The day before the night of her overdose.
"Um-", I said, looking back into the apartment, and at Rue's room which was at the end of the hallway. Her door was closed.
"I just haven't heard from her since Saturday and I had a free period this morning so I thought I'd come by", and yet again, I was impressed with his confident social ways. And the fact that he was worried for her made me happy. "Is she sick again? 'Cause I make great company and I practically never get sick", still undefeated, and I understood that she hadn't told him.
I thought it over carefully.
She'd been so happy to see him on Saturday.
She'd been so proud of herself.
Still, she was only getting back from the quiet.
"I know, Dom. Wait here", I said, deciding that it was worth a shot. I walked back into the apartment with Sebastian on my arm and his backpack over my shoulder. I knocked quietly on her door, even though it was left half open. "Rue? Um, Dom's here. Do you want me to send him away?", almost expecting her to say no, as she sat by her desk, writing something. So, as she looked back at me within seconds, telling me the answer, I knew I had done the right thing asking her.
"No, don't!"
I instantly beamed at her.