91. To change: everything

[A/N: A fun and sort of sad little chapter coming your way. Enjoy!🎈
And this is very cheesy but here's a song I thought about when I was writing this chapter:
Everybody's changing - Keane]

The audience was absolutely quiet. If you listened closely, you could hear a pin drop in the theater. Vanessa was holding Sebastian on her right arm and she had her left arm around my shoulders, as I was leaning onto her while we were watching the show from the wings.
She was wearing the most beautiful white cocktail dress, and she had dressed Sebastian in a white shirt to match the occasion.
Amanda had surprised me this afternoon by giving me a maroon coloured dress, just for this night. Or, for the many nights to come, as she had put it. It was slightly textured, having a tulle base layer and then a dotted tulle on top of it.
Most of all, it had long sleeves.
And here I was, wearing it.
For my last time in this theater for a long time to come.

It was Lin's final show.
Lin's final minutes before he said goodbye to Hamilton.

For most of the show, we had been sitting in one of the more private seats together with Lin's parents as well as Vanessa's. But, as the last few songs had started, Vanessa had taken a look at me while she had tapped on my shoulder.
"Let's go backstage and watch from the wings", she had suggested. I had taken her hand, and followed her through the small corridors.

And now, I was standing here, next to her.
I was holding my breath, and so was Vanessa. Sebastian was sound asleep, not bothered by the light or sounds from the stage.

I think everyone was holding their breaths, that everyone was somehow extra affected by the words of It's quiet uptown.

And it wasn't just Lin's last show.
It was Leslie's, Ariana's and Pippa's too.

From this moment on, everything was changing.

And everyone wanted to savour every moment.
To take it all in.
And let those moments just last a little longer.

I looked up at Vanessa.
Her eyes were slightly watery, as she smiled looking onto the stage from the side of the wings that we were standing on.

Everything really was changing.
This was the end of an era.

As Lin went off the stage after getting shot, you could see that he had gotten emotional. He instantly noticed us, his face melting with happiness due to the moment of surprise. He wiped a tear as he ran up to us, hugging us quickly.
"Hi", he said, sounding sentimental, only to look out on the stage again as Aaron finished his very last The World Was Wide Enough Pippa performed Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Tells Your Story for her very last time.

She didn't choke on the words, she did, however, sound teary. She was, indeed, giving it her all. I don't think a single cheek was dry in the Richard Roger's Theater during this very moment.

Soon, we were nearing Lin's cue to rejoin the stage. Lin was ready, but he hold onto us for as long as he could.
"Get back out there", Vanessa said, giving Lin a nudge in the side with her elbow and pushing him slightly forward. "Go do your thing", she continued to say, and nodded towards him. He nodded back at us, swallowing his tears and smiling.
"Love you", he mouthed at the three of us, scared that his mic would be on, and we both mouthed it back.
"Love you", the words formed before I had even thought it through. I didn't even hesitate. Maybe it was because I really did feel that way.

He ran back onto his spot, ready to go back as Alexander to meet Eliza again as she died.

They looked at each other, their faces filled with love and pride just as much as they were filled with sadness and thankfulness.