Chapter 51 - Curse

Art Credit: _nedned_x on Twitter

"A curse, really Al?" Charlie said in a hushed tone to the overlord.

"Charlie, I did that when I was still alive," he responded with a hint of irritation.

"You cursed your wife to not carry your child to term, and instead of being honest with her, you allowed her to endure the pain of multiple miscarriages?" Charlie questioned, her voice laced with slight frustration to her executive producer.

Alastor was visibly taken aback by Charlie's words.

"She didn't deserve that," Charlie added with a gentle sigh.

"I was unsure of how to tell her," the radio demon confessed. "I was apprehensive that she would leave me. However, I took action because her life was in jeopardy... because of me. If I had not done what was necessary, the spirits would have taken control of my body and committed heinous acts, including the slaughter and sacrifice of my own wife."

Charlie, for a moment, felt guilty as his intentions weren't out of spite.

"Why were you unable to explain the situation to her?" Charlie softly asked.

"I did not want her to be scared of me, princess. She was aware that I engaged in rituals and practised dark magic. However, she was unaware that these activities were confined to my thoughts. That I would hear their voices every day, pleading with me to kill her. So, to silence them, I had to sacrifice an organ or limb of a random person I killed to satisfy them." Alastor explained.

"Oh Al, what did you get yourself into?" Charlie whispered.

"We all have our secrets, unfortunately."

Charlie gazed at her executive producer with concern, contemplating the uncertain path this decision would lead the married couple.

"I intend to attempt to speak with her. I know her reaction will be her anger towards me, and I acknowledge her right to feel that way," Alastor stated. "However, I kindly request that you ensure no interruptions occur, even if there are sounds of objects being broken."

"That doesn't reassure me..."

"We will both be fine, Charlie. You have my word." Alastor then vanished into his shadows.

You were seated on the balcony, wrapped in a blanket, feeling utterly exhausted from the emotional release of screaming at the top of your lungs. Your eyes felt heavy from the tears you had shed.

You sensed a gentle breeze coming from behind you, indicating his presence.

"Darling -"

"Why..." You suddenly whispered, not daring to look at him as you would only want to punch him.

"Why did you continue to get me pregnant when you knew I would lose it? Why... did you let my body go through that? I thought it was me that something was wrong with my body. I was ashamed of myself." You croaked out, holding back the tears that were building up once again.

"Because I didn't want you to be afraid of me if I told you the truth..." Alastor sighed, taking the seat across the small round table.

"When we were alive (Y/N)... the spirits were in my head." Alastor confessed as you thought Alastor would summon them.

This made you slowly look over to him.

"When you fell pregnant for the first time. They... wanted our offspring. And were intended to take over my body to sacrifice our child when they were born. So I panicked and put that curse on. They wanted you next. So, with the deal I made, I sacrificed my victims for them on the ritual. It wasn't much but made them happy. Something about you they wanted, and it scared me that they would have taken control over my body to harm you." Alastor admitted.

"What did they want from me?"

"Your soul."

"Oh..." You responded.

"So... when you had that evil glint in your eyes where they went red -" "Was them taking over." Alastor said, finishing off your sentence

You stared at each other for a moment.

"Dare I ask what happened to my body?"

Alastor paused for a moment. "I buried you in the fields."

You looked at him with wide eyes before they softened. "Hours after your death, after holding your limp body in my arms, not wanting to let you go... I had a hard thought about where to lay you to rest. And so I chose the spot where we first made that deal as children and where we first confessed our feelings for each other."

You were gazing with a heavy heart, filled with a complex blend of emotions. While you comprehended his reasons, you couldn't help but feel the pain of the losses you had endured.

"I'm not ready to forgive you just yet, Al... you really hurt me... both mentally and physically. I just need some time to myself." You whispered.

"Darling, please... I didn't want you to be scared of me."

"What's worse, Al, me being scared of you? Or me hating you?" You asked with a neutral expression.

Alastor was surprised and speechless.

"For now, I need some time to think... I need to process this. Alone. I don't want to even look at you at the moment, Al." You looked away, staring down on the ground.

Alastor's heart felt as if it had shattered within his chest, a sense of darkness encroaching upon him.

"Very well, my dear, if that is your desire, I shall respect your wishes and leave you in peace," he stated calmly.

And with those words, he vanished, leaving you alone just like you wanted.

A single tear rolled down your cheek.