Chapter 31 - The truth

You chose to observe the room Nifty prepared for you while the others were frantically barricading the windows and Pentious was giving out orders.

Despite your desire to assist, you found yourself seated in a chair, gazing at your reflection in the mirror.

Spreading your wings gradually, you were indeed captivating. It is no surprise that Adam took an interest in you.

However, being banished and having your judgment questioned by Sera, as well as not marrying Adam, has led you to doubt their knowledge and understanding of the situation.

Although this is what you wanted to be thrown down into hell, to be reunited with your husband makes you contemplate the number of other individuals who may have been unjustly exiled to this realm.

While you were deep in thought, you failed to notice Alastor's presence behind you. He was observing you through the mirror.

"My dear," he addressed you.

You retracted your wings and turned to face your husband.

For a brief moment, it appeared as if you had envisioned those honey coloured eyes holding nothing but profound sadness. However, you were brought back to reality upon seeing his crimson orbs.

"I'm so sorry," he whispered unexpectedly, conveying a sense of remorse in his voice.

Your body relaxed as your gaze softened. "Oh, Al..." you whispered softly. As you got up, he instantly wrapped you in a tight embrace. His grip grew stronger, as if he feared you might disappear again.

Those haunting memories of the tragic event that took your life were running through his mind.

You attempted to reach for him before sensing yourself falling beyond the celestial gates.

With a heavy heart, you found yourself shedding tears, lamenting the untimely end of your life.

Recently, you had been engaged in conversations about potentially adopting after the multiple losses you had experienced in your early 20s. Your aspirations included becoming an educator and providing care for orphaned children.

Alastor was deeply immersed in his thoughts that evening, reflecting on the gradual fading of your (e/c) and the copious amount of blood that left from your body.

He recalled the coldness of your skin as he held your lifeless form, reluctant to let go.

The painful screams that resonated throughout yours and his home echoed in his mind, causing him to break down completely as he rocked back and forth, clutching your dead body close to his chest, not wanting to let you go.

He sensed your emotional distress and could not help but reveal his own vulnerability.

Despite the pain he felt, he maintained his smile, preventing it from faltering.

Alastor gently pulled away and placed his hands on your shoulders. With a sorrowful smile, he wiped the tears from your cheeks.

"Every day, that dreadful night replays itself in my mind, an incessant loop that haunts me," Alastor murmured, his gaze fixed upon your golden orbs.

"That night unleashed a dark side of me that led me to my current state as... this. Regrettably, I was... killed a few months later. I descended to this realm and grew quite powerful for a mortal soul holding these types of power, giving me the position of the overlord you now witness. The title that everyone now fears."

"You have also been deceased for a period of 91 years?" You exclaimed in astonishment. "Al..."

"I experienced immense relief upon discovering your absence from this realm, as heaven appeared to be a more suitable destination for you. However, it's clear someone else also took an interest in you." He growled.

"Heaven is not as flawless as you may have believed. In all honesty, it possesses an artificial quality, an excessive level of perfection that I found were covered in lies. My main reason for remaining there was the presence of our mothers."

"Mama..." Alastor murmured softly.

"She is aware of your existence down here in hell, Al. I withheld the truth from her, she told me to find you after all... She is doing well, Al. Tara happy, healthy, and is with my mother in their new environment." you reassured him.

"This is precisely the reason why I married you." He whispered before gently pulling you into a kiss. You were momentarily surprised before reciprocating with equal favour.

As you parted, Alastor noticed something and chuckled softly. "What is it?" You frowned. "My dear, I believe you may be losing your angelic appearance as your eyes momentarily flickered," he remarked with a hint of amusement.

"I do not mind staying here with you for eternity. I've had a taste of heaven. Not for me, " you giggled.

"I agree with that. Let us find something more suitable for you down here." He mumbled.

"Please do get me out of this dress." You groaned. "Bring me back to my fashion."

"Hmm." With a snap of his finger, your dress was now back to your style from the early 1900s, only matching the perfect colours of hell and Alastor, of course.

Your hair was styled to the fashion, only it was still white. You had hoped it would fade back to your original colour or darker.

"This is indeed an improvement," you chuckled softly as Alastor gracefully twirled you around. "I agree." Alastor responded with a genuine grin, gently pulling you closer to bestow a tender kiss upon your cheek.

His gaze then shifted to the area of your neck all of a sudden.

He paused for a moment before delicately brushing the tip of his gloved finger over the scar, a gesture of both curiosity and the reminder of your death.

He slowly met your stare. "I tortured them in a pretty gruesome way.. made them suffer a very slow, painful death," He openly admitted.

"It's like a part of me died when you did. The house felt... so empty, not being greeted by you every day. I lost my sanity ma chérie. You were the only one keeping me going. In the end, I became reckless and did not care if I was caught, I started killing at random. Because I had no purpose of anyone to come home to. You were gone... Mama was gone... I just lost the will to live in those last few months."

You gently stroked his cheeks, gazing deeply into his crimson eyes.

"I'm here now. Reunited with you at last." You reassured him in a soothing tone.

"Finally," he exhaled, sensing a resurgence of his humanity.

A long-awaited reunion.