Chapter 9 - Grief

Alastor observed from the doorway as you were visibly distressed and overwhelmed with grief. You had both recently attended your mother's funeral, and the emotional toll was evident.

Paul had decided to leave you alone, believing it would be beneficial for you to have a moment to yourself to process your emotions.

"(N/n), my dear, how can I... help?" Alastor asked as he took a seat next to you.

A few sniffles and whimpers escaped your lips as your blurred vision gazed upon his gentle and innocent features you just witnessed kill like it wasn't his first time.

How is it possible that this caring, loving man who everyone admires could have committed such an act?

"You're the serial killer, aren't you?" You suddenly said as you made a hiccuping sound while maintaining direct eye contact with him, anticipating his response.

With an impassive expression, he acknowledged the slight flicker in his eye.

"It's fine, your secret is safe with me. After all, we made a binding agreement, did we not?" As you revealed the scar on your left hand, a reminder of the foolish pact you both made as children.

Alastor's brows furrowed as he gazed at your hand, then down at his own right hand, which bore the same matching scar.

With a defeated sigh, Alastor admitted, "Yes, my dear, it is true."

Silence stretched between you for five minutes as both of you were lost in your thoughts. Finally, Alastor broke the silence. "I suppose it was inevitable that you would find out sooner or later. After all, we have never been very good at keeping secrets from each other." He let out a soft chuckle. like he doesn't gut people at night.

"I suppose it puts me at ease."

"What do you mean?" Alastor asked a bit confused at that response.

"I can walk home knowing it's just you," you said with a slight smile. Alastor couldn't help but smile at that before playfully jumping on you, causing you to let out a surprised laugh.

"However, what if I were to discreetly observe you during the evening to ensure your safety?" he whispered in your ear, his warm breath fanning your neck.

As you both gazed at each other, a slight chuckle escaped your lips. "Are you saying that you follow me, my dear best friend?"

"Possibly."

"Hmm, are you unable to stay away from me?" You playfully teased the gentleman in a lighthearted manner.

"Why you're just so irresistible." He whispered in a more of a seductive tone.

You felt quite warm after that sentence. Alastor was entertained by the reaction he received from you.

However, that moment only lasted for a few minutes before reality abruptly set in.

"I'm all alone in this house..." You said quietly as Alastor's expression softened, and he took a seat next to you.

"She's dead..." You croaked out.

"Come here..." Alastor said, extending his arms out.

You gratefully accepted his invitation, and for the rest of the night, he held you close, allowing you to shed all your tears.

Next morning

You felt a bit groggy, with a slight headache from all the crying you had done the previous night.

You noticed an intoxicating scent emanating from what you thought was your pillow.

However, upon lifting your head, you realized it was not a pillow at all, but Alastor, who was sound asleep beside you, his face turned away from you, and his arm wrapped around you.

He had stayed...

As if sensing someone's gaze, Alastor's eyes fluttered open, and he slowly turned to face you, meeting your (e/c) eyes.

"Good morning," he smiled lazily, still groggy, his eyes half-lidded as he tried to adjust to the sunlight.

You felt your heart pounding in your chest, yearning for this moment to last forever. Despite the throbbing headache from your crying, you had experienced a peaceful sleep for once.

You and Alastor used to have sleepovers and share the same bed when you were children, but after puberty, that had ceased. Now, you understood why. Most people would perceive this situation as something more than just friendship.

If Paul were to see this, he would undoubtedly be jealous.

You smiled sadly at him. "Good morning."

"Would you like some breakfast, my dear?" he inquired, emitting a slight yawn.

"Shouldn't I be the one offering since you're technically a guest?"

Alastor chuckled in response. "I insist," he replied. "It's been a stressful few days for you. Allow me to attend to your needs."

Before you could decline, he pressed his lips against your cheek and slipped out of your bed, leaving you speechless.