Chapter 15 - Ring

"My dear boy?"

"Yes, Mother?" Alastor paused his actions as he was about to head over to your place to check on you.

For the past few weeks after you took on the position as a waitress in the diner, you've had come down with a nasty illness and Alastor was determined to check on you almost immediately after he was done at the station.

"I would like to present you with something." Tara said, gesturing for her son to sit down.

Alastor obliged, sitting down next to her, intrigued to what it is.

"I want you to pass this down to (Y/N)"

She took out a beautiful wedding band, knowing he had found the perfect woman to spend the rest of his life with. She had never seen her little boy so enamoured and in love since he made it official with you.

"Mother..."

"It's a family ring that has been passed down through our generations. And I know dear (Y/N) is the one for you."

Alastor stared mesmerized at the beautiful ring that now lay in his palm.

"Thank you... mama."

Tara smiled affectionately at her son. She believed she could finally find peace once the two of you were officially together, and Alastor had another woman by his side to care for him, someone who could look after her son.

Alastor was so captivated by the ring that he momentarily forgot his purpose.

"My dear son, weren't you intending to check on your lady?"

"Oh!" Alastor abruptly stood up, causing his mother to chuckle.

Alastor swiftly dashed across the path to your home and opened the door.

"Dar -"

His eyes widened in astonishment upon witnessing the situation.

"(Y/N)!" Alastor exclaimed with concern, noticing you on your knees coughing into a cloth. "I am quite alright..." You responded weakly as Alastor gently placed a hand on your forehead.

"My love, you are clearly unwell! Let's get you to your bed. You need to strip out of these clothing." Alastor gently instructed, carrying your frail body to the bedroom.

As you lay down, you felt a choking sensation and sat up, triggering another coughing fit.

"Let me get Mama. She possesses knowledge of effective remedies that may help with this cough." Alastor suggested.

You nodded in acknowledgement that you heard what he said.

As Alastor swiftly jogged across the path, your coughing subsided. You couldn't help but gaze at the cloth, your heart pounding in your chest as you noticed the blood staining the fabric.

"Oh, dear," you softly exclaimed. You couldn't bear the thought that it might be the dreaded plague that afflicted you.

You heard the approaching footsteps as Tara entered the room, followed by Alastor.

"Oh, my dear, what seems to be the matter?"

You remained silent, and Tara noticed your fidgeting. Her eyes widened as she observed the blood on the cloth.

"Alastor, my dear boy, could you kindly fetch a glass of water for your beloved? Perhaps it will help soothe her throat."

"Certainly, Mother."

Tara wanted Alastor to leave the room so she could ask you a private question.

"How long have you been experiencing these symptoms, my dear?"