Chapter 80 - Artifact in Memory

3rd person's POV

Sitting by the fireplace, Jason pondered with nothing but a drink in his hand as he watched the flames danced a slow pace. He could hear his warriors that stayed outside, moving about in their settlement which was why he'd rather stay where it was quiet so that he could think. 

To think about the war the he had started with not only Jayden and his allies, but also with the Human Hunters Organization. And with that, with the plans that he had already set in motion, it was only a good matter of time before the all out fighting would take place. 

One would think that it was a foolish move. Even with their numbers and strength, starting two wars with a powerful pack of wolves with an equally powerful hybrid as their leader and an organization of trained humans specializing in the hunt and weeding out of supernaturals, you'd think that Jason do a double take on his decision but he didn't . Not once.

Not when he had powerful allies of his own.

Emptying his glass, he got up as he made his way to pour himself another when he accidentally knocked over the bottle on the small wooden box that he had forgotten about on his bedside. 

"Shit." He cussed. Picking up the box as the contents of the bottle dripped down unto the cabin floor. He was about to look for something to wipe it with when his eyes went back to the wooden box.

Opening the lid, a sense of anger had filled him when he saw what was inside. 

A titanium ring. Unlike some other things that were in the box like his necklace that he seldom wears, Jason could only find himself looking at the ring. Remembering just who it was that gave it to him.

Flashback

Cabin doors were slammed open as someone walked in. Dragging a wounded Alpha inside as his blood drips down against the floor. Staining the sheets red as he released a pained groan while he was gently placed on his bed.

"I told you, but do you ever listen? Vampires would never be willing to submit to a wolf's command. Or any other race for that matter." Carlos chastised as he glanced at Jason's wounded form. "You should have listened and brought more men to that meeting just in case."

"Will you just shut up." The Alpha wanted to growl out, though couldn't as the pain from his wounds made it difficult to do so.

Jason was still trying to recruit some more rogues groups and vampires into his army. The rogues, though with some difficulty, proved easier to convince compared to the vampires that they talked with. 

"Tell the men to find and wipe those bastards out. If they won't join us, better that they all die." He said. Holding unto a part of his stomach where he was stabbed by a dagger. It was deep. Lucky for him though, it wasn't made from silver which meant that he'd heal in time. 

Though that didn't mean that it'd be less painful.

"I'll tell someone to come and help patch you up. Don't worry about those vampires. I'll take care of them." Carlos said before turning to leave when he caught a certain scent. "Well it seems that I don't need to tell someone to come anymore."

Opening the door, he saw Mathew walking up to Jason's cabin just as he closed the door. He was carrying what seemed to be a first aid kit when he finally noticed Carlos curiously looking at him.

"I don't think now's a good time. He's in a fouler mood than usual." The vampire warned.

"He's my mate. He doesn't want me, but I can't just do nothing when I know  he's hurt. And besides, maybe this'll be the time I can show him that I can be the mate that he wants." Mathew reasoned, though Carlos didn't seem to be all that convinced with his vigor.