Chapter 73 - Distant Storms

3rd person's POV

The smell of burning wood, mixed with that of rotting corpses was strong in the air.

A number of men continued to gather their dead while trying to refrain themselves from looking at their mangled bodies.

Yet the bodies of men and women weren't the only ones that could be found.

A small number of lifeless werewolves and vampires can also be seen. Covered with the blood of their victims before they themselves breathed their last breaths.

"Vincent." One man said when he saw his superior approaching him. Looking around to see the full damage that had happened to the site after the attack.

"How many, Ron??" The man didn't have to think twice about what he was asking as he looked back at the piled up bodies before answering.

"57." He begrudgingly said. "57 on our side dead while 13 on theirs have been found and confirmed when our men checked the whole compound. That includes 5 wolves and 8 vampires."

"Did you find anything that could possibly tell us the reason for the attack??"

"None so far. Though from what I managed to understand is that this compound is one of the more vulnerable ones that we have around town since it's mostly composed of new recruits that we received from the order." Ron explained. "A number of our more experienced hunters were at a different part of town when it happened. And the ones that were here at the time couldn't properly handle the situation due to the sudden attack."

"That's no excuse." Vincent told him. "If there's one thing that you should learn in this line of work Ron, it's that a hunter should always be prepared for an attack."

Looking at the bloodied corpses, Vincent could feel his anger building up as he looked at the young, lifeless faces that were all piled up.

Killed. Left to rot before they could even live their full lives.

"Leave a number of our hunters here to help guard the place just in-case. Send word to the other compounds that they are to stay alert."

"Already done sir. I've also told them to report any kind of strange occurrences which might give us some important details." The man informed.

"I've always admired your intuition. Good work. Now all we have to do is to prepare the bodies. I'll inform the higher-ups on what had happened and they'll tell the families." Vincent told him as he continued to watch with growing guilt as the bodies of his men continued to pile.

As their leader and the main decision maker of his men, he had the responsibility as any leader would have.

Not only was he to assure that they follow the tasks given to them by their organization but he also had to make the decisions for the lives of everyone under him.

"After we prepare everything for the transport of their bodies back to HQ, I'll start strategizing on our plan of attack. I'll give you an outline before we gather for the meeting."

"Plan of attack??" The man curiously questioned. Raising a brow as he looked at the other man.

"Yes sir. You don't suppose that we just let this go?? Sir, we've lost a number of our men from that pack's attack."

"Do you really think that I'm someone who could just let this all go??" Vincent almost snapped. Gesturing to the destruction that could clearly be seen in the area. "I assure you that I have the full intention of avenging those that died but as of now we will take our time."

"Sir... Why take our time?? Even with our current numbers we still have our weapons as an advantage. We can wipe out that pack before they'll even know what hit them."