Chapter 53 - Detectives' Epiphany

Charlotte's POV

"Alright, about twenty minutes left on the clock before our class ends. Let's see who among you were really lending me their ear and attention during my discussion." Our biology teacher announced but I didn't even spare a glance since I was too busy being bored out of my mind. Standing in front of our class, most of my classmates went to try to keep themselves from coming into her view in the risk of getting called out.

"Ms. Maine. Do you care to try and answer my question??" She soon said. Making me inwardly groan as I turned to look at her.

"No ma'am." I said after getting up from my seat. Putting on a well-faked smile as I didn't turn my gaze from her to see her surprised look.

"No?? Can I ask why then??" She asked.

"Cause I won't just try and answer your question Ms. Zane. I will." I stated. And I know that that seems a bit ignorant of me to say but I'm only saying facts here.

I already did an advance study on the topic that she had taught us today so frankly even if she goes on and gives us a pop-quiz right now I wouldn't complain.

"Hmm. Confidence. I like that in a student." She said with an amused look on her face. "Alright. Let's see if you can back-up what you just said to me."

I didn't feel the slightest of worry to be honest. In truth, I just wanted to answer her questions fast so that I can sit back down on my chair.

"What is the difference between mitosis and meiosis??" She went o ask me while the class was quiet as they waited to see if I can give an answer.

And without a second of hesitation, I did just that. "The main difference between them is that Mitosis produces two diploid somatic cells that are genetically identical to each other and the original parent cell, whereas meiosis produces four haploid gametes that are genetically unique from each other and the original parent cell."

"The five stages of mitosis cell division??"

"Interphase, Metaphase, Anaphase, Prophase and Telophase." I respond.

"End result of mitosis??"

"Two daughter cells that are genetically identical to the parent cell. Like I said before in you first question." Again I answer with a smile on my face.

"And meiosis??"

"Four daughter cells that are haploid, which means they only contain half the number of chromosomes of the diploid parent cell." I could tell that everyone seemed a bit shocked that I managed to answer all of our teacher's questions without missing a beat. And by Ms. Zane's expression right now, the same could be said for her too. "Can I sit back down now Ms. Zane??"

She really didn't expect me to answer all the question correctly that much I can tell. But seeing as I did, she didn't have much say anymore so she just nodded her head.

A couple of whoops then came from some of the guys in the room along with the clearly amused and impressed looks of my peers at what just happened. And with that, I couldn't help but just grin as I looked around at them.

"Clearly they couldn't have done it themselves so it's only natural that they're impressed." I thought to myself.

With the slowly rising commotion in the room, Ms. Zane immediately shushed them which they did and I took that as my initiative to sit back down.

But at the very second that I did, a very sudden chill went down my spine. Going throughout my body as my senses slowly shifted.

The sound of Ms. Zane talking in class slowly faded as all of the noise around me went to a deathly silence.