Chapter 70 - The Past comes to bite

Xavier's POV

Ten minutes.

It was about ten minutes since Mr. Anderson had already started his class but looking at the empty chair a few feet beside me, Chase still wasn't here yet.

I remembered him saying something during lunch about a thing that he had to do.

I didn't really remember any assignments to be passed but I just shrugged it off at that time. Thinking that he just needed some more time for himself as he continued to mourne what happened to Lydia.

All of us were affected with what happened to her but Chase was a different case since he was more emotionally attached to her. It wouldn't really take a genius to know how they both felt for each other.

"Is your cousin okay??" I heard someone asking behind me.

Turning around, I saw that it was Diane who asked me the question as she took her turn to glance towards Chase's empty seat.

"Chase usually sits there right?? Is he okay??" She asked again.

"Yeah. He's just...." I paused. Thinking of what to say, only to sigh out when I couldn't decide. "Actually I really don't know. Someone died only recently. And though we didn't really know her that well, she was still a friend. But for Chase, she wasn't just that."

The sad expression that formed on her face told me that she understood what I had said in the end.

"That's horrible." She almost whispered as she looked back at Chase's empty seat. "What was her name??"

"Lydia. Her name was Lydia." I answered, which made her turn back to me.

"The incident at the park that I heard about. Was that her??" I decided to nod my head as an answer. 

Silence came between us for a quick moment. I could still hear Mr. Anderson discussing in front along with the tapping sounds that the chalk makes as it hits the blackboard as he wrote.

"It really makes you think, doesn't it." Diane said to me. Making me give her a questioning look.

"Think about what??"

"About how important someone could be in your life even if you met only recently." She explained before looking at me directly into my eyes.

I wasn't really expecting her to say that but I couldn't help but agree with what she said.

"Yeah." Looking an one another, I gave her a small smile just as I heard the sound of our classroom door opening.

Making me stiffen when I caught the slight scent of blood as Chase walked in.

"Mr. Moore. It's good to know that you've decided to join us today." Mr. Anderson commented with a certain expression on his face.

"I'm sorry sir. I lost track of time and didn't notice." Chase reason.

"Well we can't do anything about it now. Just make sure you don't come into class late too often." Nodding his head, Chase headed to his seat which only made me confirm the scent just as he sat down.

"Dude, where were you??" I asked. Only then noticing that he changed his clothes which were different from this mornings'.

"And why do I smell blood on you??" I added through our link.

"I just lost track of time. Didn't even notice the bell right for 1st period in the afternoon." He explained.

"And it's deer blood so you don't have to worry." He answered through the link as well.