Chapter 16 - Plans and Contingency Plans

Lucas's POV

The three of us were now standing in front of a completely normal looking home. It was in a quiet part of the neighborhood and with a car parked just outside of the garage, we knew that someone was home.

"You sure about this??" I asked. Turning towards Scott and my cousin.

"Yeah. This should be the place." He answered. But just as I was about to knock on the door...

"Wait." He said. "What are we gonna say??"

"I don't know. This was your idea so you tell me."

"Oh just get on with it." Bella said in annoyance before knocking on the door.

Footsteps could be then heard and it wasn't long till we were faced by a pretty beautiful girl with light brown hair.

"Can I help you??" She asked us politely.

"Hi, uh.. we're some students from Timberland high and we were wondering if we could talk to Mrs. Kathryn Jones for a bit??" I said as she continued to eye us a bit wearily.

"Why do you wanna talk to my grandmother??" She went to ask.

"It's for a school project. We wanted to know more about the history of this town from a few decades back so, would it be okay if we asked her a few questions??" Scott explained. Giving her a smile, but still the girl seemed hesitant.

"I don't know. I'm not suppose to let anyone who I don't know into our house."

"It'll only be a few questions." I said. "I'm Lucas. This is my friend Scott and my cousin Isabella. I promise that we won't take long."

After a few seconds of giving us some skeptical looks, she finally decided and went to open up the door for us to enter, which I was glad about.

"My name's Lydia." She said after closing the door. "You guys want anything to drink first??"

"Actually that would be..."

"That won't be necessary." I cut Scott off before he could finish which ultimately made him give me a pout. "I think that it'd be best if we tall with your grandma so that we won't bother you any longer than we have to."

Leading us upstairs, we silently walk as I found myself looking around. It was a beautiful home. Pictures of a happy family could be seen lining the walls.

"Grandma's in her room lying down. She isn't really feeling that good so please don't stress her out." Was Lydia's words as we stopped outside a door.

Something told me that even if I wanted to, we wouldn't really be able to give that promise. Especially when the questions we wanted to ask her about would only remind her of the dark part of her past.

"I'm sorry if what i'm about to ask you is a bit personal Lydia but... We've done some research about the people that we would question and... i wanted to ask how your grandmother is fairing with her..."

"Illness??" She finished while I just gave her a slow nod. "Well, she's been very well treated and we've not had a major incident for years."

"That's nice to hear." Scott smiled.

I gave Lydia my word that we won't do anything to really stress her grandmother out before she gave a soft knock at the door.

On entering the room, we saw A woman lying down om her bed. She was looking at us with a smile on her face as she went to slowly sit herself up.

"Who are your friends sweety??" She kindly asked.

"Just some students from Timberland grandma. They wanted to ask you some questions about the town's history for a project of theirs."