"I like this side of the rock." :CHARLIE DALTON REQUEST:

Author's Note: For the kind and lovely @imtryingtosleep_  THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR REQUESTING

Charlie and Emma looked like freaks to most at this hour. It was half past seven, and the land of Vermont had fallen dark and dreary. They had just finished their dinner picnic, their plates and napkins and silver sprawled out around them. Emma had her legs intertwined with Charlie's, her head in Charlie's chest, and his arms built around her. They looked up and watched the stars, seeing if they had shifted since the time they arrived and since the time they had finished dinner. Then all of a sudden...

"Do you... hear that?" Charlie asked her, lifting his head. At first, she thought it was a practical joke so she smacked his hip gently and chuckled. But then she heard it too. Raspy yelling. The yelling storm was one created by two vicious people, a couple. Charlie sat up and looked at them. Emma sat up too. The two watched star struck. They had never seen a couple their age so infuriated at one another. The two fought on top of a massive boulder in the park, one that looked down upon Charlie and Emma's dinner.
"Holy shit should we say something?" Emma asked, worried. Charlie looked at her. Even though darkness surrounded them, he still saw and felt her emotions. He knew her eyes were glossy and her nose was fidgeting like it usually did when she was nervous. He scooted closer to her and kissed her cheekbone, then her jawline. She buried her head on his shoulder. Charlie had never felt more fulfilled and cheerful in his entire lifetime. Despite the screaming wilder beasts disrupting the peace in the park, Charlie had his girl in his arms, and she didn't show any sign of letting go anytime soon.
"They're just yelling. It's a big argument. Until one of them hits each other, we stay out of it." He told her. She nodded and scooted closer into his side. He looked over and still felt her worry aching at her body. He raised his hand and traced her face, stroking her cheekbone with his thumb. He leaned over and kissed her nose, then her forehead, then her lips. She looked away and a smirk tugged at her lips. She was blushing from his affection.

The fighting went on longer than they expected. Charlie and Emma had dessert and told each other childhood stories in hopes that by the time they were finished, the angry couple would have stopped yelling. But, no. The couple was still going at it and at the moment, they were attacking each other's mothers. "YOUR MOTHER IS UGLY INSIDE!" and "YOUR MOTHER NEVER LIKED ME!"

"I like this side of the rock." Emma said. Charlie swallowed a sip of his beverage and looked at her, utterly confused.
"What?"
"I like this side of the rock. I don't want to be the couple that argues, like that couple is. I want to be the couple that is just... blissful... I want to stay on the opposite side of the rock from that couple." Emma motioned her head to the two that were currently yelling so loud that they were crying. Charlie gulped and looked into her endearing eyes. She looked away, not wanting to bare eye contact.
"We'll never be on that side of the rock, okay? I promise." He told her, kissing her forehead three times in a row. "Well- wait- maybe we should be." Charlie said, standing up. Emma laid back on the picnic blanket in a fetal position. He had just promised to never put her in a situation like that. So Emma threw a hissy fit and began to fake cry. That only made Charlie laugh. He kneeled back down and straddled over her. She covered her face and fake cried harder. He rolled her on her back and took her hands off of her face. That didn't stop her from moaning and groaning like a child though. He covered her mouth to get his words out.
"Think of it as like... a game. We're flaunting that we can civilly talk out our troubles and they can't. Just for fun, we'll fake fight." Charlie said like it was no big deal. Emma rolled her eyes and smacked his chest.
"Yeah because that's normal." She mocked. He crawled off of her and offered his hands. She grabbed them and he pulled her up from her back. She dusted off her outfit and smoothed out her hair. He couldn't help but watch her as she readjusted herself.
"You look beautiful." He said, helplessly in love.
"We're supposed to be mad at each other." She said, putting her hands on her hips. Charlie nodded and looked down, getting into character. His head shot up quickly and he pointed his finger at her.
"You're FUCKING beautiful!" He said aggressively. Emma pretended to be offended. She covered her eyes and grasped her chest, dramatically gasping and turning her head.
"Are-are-are we compliment battling?" She asked, very defensively and stomping her foot.
"Yeah, we fucking are, you greek goddess!" Charlie protested walking closer to her and pointing his finger in her face. She pushed him back, very gently, and walked away.
"Don't call me the greek goddess when you're the greek god and goddess in this situation! You have the humor AND the beauty! Don't flatter me, you handsome son of a bitch!" She expressed with pure aggression. He rolled his eyes and folded his arms across his chest.
"I could really fucking kiss you right now." Charlie yelled. Emma stomped closer, only a centimeter away from his face. They were both breathing heavily.
"Then fucking kiss me, my love." Emma expressed, somehow angrily. He picked her up and spun her around. Emma cupped Charlie's cheeks and pressed their lips together. The kiss was more magical than any kiss the two had ever shared previously. Maybe it was because of the nighttime and the stars scattering all around them. Or maybe it was because during that compliment battle, Charlie had fallen helplessly in love with Emma.

He dropped her out of the kiss and she went to run back to the picnic blanket. He chased after her though and before she could sit down, he swooped her up from behind. He spun her around in a circle and kissed her neck. She dropped her head back on his shoulder and continued her fester of laugh.
"I love you." Charlie said. No- Charlie slipped. They had never said that before. Their first I love you just occurred in that very moment. But Charlie wouldn't have wanted to say it in any other way, setting, or time. It was perfect to him.

It was at that time they had noticed, the couple on the opposite side of the rock weren't yelling anymore. Instead they sat close together. Their mumbled apologies mixed with their sorrowful I love you's. Their kissed were gently, yet meaningful.

Emma heard Charlie say it, I love you, but decided not to make a big deal of it. She didn't know if she was supposed to or not. So she just grabbed his cheek and the back of his neck, gently kissing him. He depended the kiss, pulling her by her waist against him, and running his fingers through her waist.

The two fell back down on their picnic blanket, still kissing. Although, they were both laughing and kept breaking the kiss to let their storms of laughs fall out of them. Eventually, they ended up back where they started. Their legs intertwined, their arms wrapped around one another, and Emma's head on his chest. Charlie looked down at her and kissed her forehead. She only cuddled closer to him once he said that.
"Oh and Charlie..." She said, looking up at him. He looked down and smiled. "I love you too." Once more, they shared a kiss.