Chapter 70

You squeeze Bucky's hand reassuringly and smile up at him as you walk through the doors of S.H.I.E.L.D Headquarters. To be honest as of late, this is the first time either of you have come here feeling excited and nervous in a good way.

You insisted on coming and watching, but genuinely not because you are worried but because you're just curious and wanted to get out and about. The few times you have watched you found it quite interesting, not to mention seeing your husband all sweaty and potentially shirtless is always a positive plus.

Bucky's going back for his first proper training session today. He's not going to be going back to missions anytime soon, probably not until after the baby is born and even then you'll just have to see how things are going with him. But for now, since he's starting to feel a lot better and like his old self and get more of his strength and energy back he asked if he could start getting back into training, taking little steps and seeing what he can handle so that he's more prepared in the future. Frankly the fact that he's feeling this sure of himself and confident makes you happy and you'll do whatever you can to support him.

Howard comes over to the two of you when he sees you with open arms and a huge grin.

"Hey guys! How are we?" He exclaims, stepping in between you and putting an arm around each of your shoulders. "(Y/N) might I say you're looking great, absolutely charming. I feel like I haven't seen either of you in forever."

Ah Howard, always the same.

"We're good thanks Howard. Much better yeah." Bucky greets him. "How about you? Any progress with things?"

"Oh tonnes, I'll have to catch you up on everything at some point. It's all very exciting." He nods.

"I look forward to it," Bucky agrees.

It's so funny that Bucky used to be like Howard Stark's biggest fan and now they are work colleagues and if anything Howard is now Bucky's biggest fan. He's absolutely obsessed with his abilities and that arm of his. Sometimes you wonder how they keep it together when they see each other.

"We must catch up properly sometime soon as well when you're feeling up to it. I want to have another look at you," Howard adds. "But for now, are you excited to get back to training?"

"I'm honestly so ready." Bucky grins eagerly.

"Excellent." Howard clasps his hands together and strides ahead of the two of you for a few steps before turning to face you and walk backwards. "I think Steve has a good session all planned out for you."

"What's this about me?" You hear a familiar voice say and look up to see sure enough Steve himself heading your way.

"Oh! I was just saying how you've got a good session all planned out for Bucky today right?" Howard explains.

"Yes, I'm looking forward to it," Steve agrees. "You ready Buck?"

"Oh I don't think I've been so keen in a long time." Bucky huffs.

"Excellent." Steve beams. "Why don't we start with a couple laps around the gym then?" He suggests as you step into the gym.

~~~~

Turns out that Bucky's enthusiasm was a little over estimated, and that even with his super enhanced abilities, months of torture and mistreatment followed by even more months of inactivity and recuperation do take a toll on your fitness and strength.

It only took the five mile jog - which is generally nothing for Steve and Bucky - to have Bucky sweaty and gasping for breath. Onto the weights and he was getting frustrated that he couldn't lift as much as he used to be able to. And by now he has come over and collapsed down on the benches beside you, panting severely for breath, sweating pints and trembling with fatigue.