Chapter 13

"Mumma!" Isla says as she comes running up to you with a huge grin on her face. "Mumma! Mumma! Mumma!"

"Isla! Where have you been?" You beam as she comes running into your arms.

"Mummy come with me!" She exclaims as she teeters around on her little toddler feet. "I have a surprise for you!"

"A surprise?" You gasp. "What is it?"

"Follow me!" She says and takes your hand, dragging you to Luke's room.

You're expecting to be shown maybe some kind of scene that they have made with their toys or something. But what find is not at all what you expected. You can't believe your eyes.

"B-bucky?" You stutter in disbelief. "Is that you?"

Your hands fly to your mouth.

He's sitting on the bed with Luke, lying back on the pillow with his arm stretched around Luke's back while Luke shows him his school book. He's dressed in his formal army uniform looking how he did just when he left.

"Hey doll." He smiles as he looks up from the book to you. "I'm home."

"Mummy guess who's here!" Luke exclaims.

You're just speechless.

"But how did you - when did you get back?" You whimper as happy tears rim your eyes.

"I have my ways." He shrugs and winks at you.

"It's been so long. I thought I was never going to see you again." You sigh.

"You won't." He huffs standing up and walking over to you.

"W-what?" You frown as he puts his hands on your arms.

"This is to say goodbye." He says, looking at you with sad eyes.

"Why?" You ask hurt.

"I'm not going to be able to come home. I'm sorry." He explains and looks at you seriously and sadly.

"Dad?" Luke suddenly asks sadly and creeps over to you guys. "What's happening?"

"Daddy?" Isla whimpers.

"I have to go guys. I'm so sorry. I love you all so much." He says hoarsely.

"Daddy no! Don't go! I just met you!" Isla cries out.

"Nooo!" Luke wails.

Bucky doesn't say anything, just sighs sadly as a single tear drips down his cheek before he embraces all of you in a hug.

"Please don't go." You sob into his chest.

"I have to. I love you." He whispers before pressing his lips to yours in a soft kiss.

You close your eyes and melt into the kiss, but when you open your eyes he's gone.

You jolt awake in bed. It was just a dream.

Bucky isn't here. He hasn't come home. He didn't disappear.

You stare at his cold, empty side of the bed. The same way it has been for two years now.

Oh god you miss him.

You have dreams about him often but none like that and none as real as that. Throughout the day you can't stop thinking about that dream. Something just doesn't feel right.

Bucky's POV:

No. No. This can't be happening. This isn't the way it's supposed to be. I'm supposed to go home and be with my family, meet Isla and look after them all.