Forty-Eight

The next morning  Wren sat at her computer, scrolling through listings for apartments in the area. As she scanned through the options, her mind raced with visions of her own space—a place where she could finally be on her own, independently. 

 She had been taking on more private lessons at the Vera gym, and with each passing day, the idea of moving out seemed more and more feasible.

Lost in her thoughts, Wren didn't hear her mother enter the room until she spoke, her voice breaking through the silence. "How's it going, sweetheart?" her mother asked. 

Startled, Wren turned to face her. "Oh hey, it's going well, Mom. I've been looking at apartments online. I think I might be ready to move out soon."

Her mother's smile faltered for a moment, a flicker of sadness crossing her features before she quickly masked it with a reassuring nod. "That's wonderful, dear," she said, her voice tinged with pride. "I'm so proud of you for taking this step."

Wren felt a pang of guilt at the hint of sadness in her mother's eyes, a reminder of all she'd put her through the past few weeks.

Her mother came to sit on the edge of the bed and Wren looked at her with a guilt filled expression. "I'm sorry, Mom. About everything that's happened recently." 

"No, I'm sorry Wren. We always should've helped lead you in this direction instead of forcing you to take the steps on your own," her mother insisted. 

"Well, I'm really grateful for your support now." 

Her mother smiled and reached out to brush Wren's hair behind her back. She started playing with the strands like she used to do when she was a little girl. 

"How's school coming along?" Her mother asked, and Wren perked up a bit. 

"It's good, I'm almost done." 

"Think about what you want to do for graduation, we'd love to help you do something fun." 

Wren smiled. "I will. Thanks Mom." 

Just then the doorbell rang, and both Wren and her mother exchanged a puzzled glance, their brows furrowing in confusion. Who could possibly be visiting at ten in the morning?

Wren rose from her seat and made her way to the window, peering out to see who it might be. Her heart skipped a beat as she caught sight of Korain's car parked outside. A smile tugged at the corners of her lips, relief flooding her senses as she realized who it was.

"Who is it, dear?" her mother asked, curiosity evident in her tone as she joined Wren at the window.

"It's just a friend," Wren replied, her voice tinged with excitement. "I'll go let him in."

Her mother gave her a knowing look, a subtle twinkle of amusement dancing in her eyes as she followed Wren downstairs. As they reached the foyer, they found her father engaged in conversation with Korain, the two men deep in discussion already.

Wren's father turned to greet them as they approached, a warm smile spreading across his face. "Ah, Wren, your friend Korain is here," he said, his tone friendly but piqued with curiosity. 

Wren exchanged a quick glance with Korain, hoping he wasn't too freaked out by the sudden family meeting. "Hey, Korain." 

Korain looked very handsome that morning, dressed in a long sleeve shirt and jeans. His glasses on the bridge of his nose framed his dark eyes and his hair was swept back from his face. He looked clean and professional.  "Hey, Wren. I hope I'm not interrupting anything," he said, his voice filled with genuine concern.