Twenty-Four

Wren mixed eggs into a bowl the next morning, while trying her best to read the instructions for french toast on google. She loved One Pan Egg Toast. It was her favorite breakfast meal.

But her parents had chefs that usually would cook them breakfast and Wren had honestly never cooked for herself a day in her life.

She bit her lip trying to read the instructions and then deciding to just go for it she turned on the stove and started heating up the pan. After some careful calculations she buttered the skillet and then threw in her egg toast.

It was five minutes later that Wren realized she was burning the toast and it started to smoke. At first it was a plume of grey and black and then a small little fire ignited and Wren squeaked in surprise, rushing to remove the pan from heat she hurried to try and turn off the stove.

Coughing, she covered her mouth and proceeded to try and fan the smoke with her hand but it did little to help, instead it just continued to dance with bright orange flame. Consuming her egg toasts in whips of vermillion and royal blue.

She quickly took a rag and tried to put out the fire but instead it just caught the rag on fire too and then Wren squealed, dropping it and almost burning her foot.

Just then she heard a banging on her front door and Wren quickly took it as her rescue opportunity.

She ran over to the front door and flung it open, ready to beg whoever was at her door to save her from the fire she'd created. Thankfully on the other side stood her next door neighbor.

"Wren, are you okay?" Korain was still wearing his pajamas, his eyes wide behind his square rimmed glasses. He spotted the smoke behind her shoulder and they got wider.

"Help! I don't know how to put it out!"

He rushed past her over to the smoking pan and the rag on the floor still sizzling and proceeded to stomp out the fire on the floor and then poured water on the burning pan, extinguishing the burning egg toast.

"I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to burn it," Wren said, still in shock that she'd almost just burned her apartment down. Her hands covered her mouth, and she was frozen in place, looking at the mess she'd created.

Korain was now trying to clear the smoke, thankfully the balcony doors were open so most of it was already seeping out.

Her turned to her, his dark eyes showing a mixture of emotions.

"It's okay, are you alright? I saw smoke coming off your balcony and then when you screamed I thought something had happened to you."

"Uh, yeah, just the egg toast burning." She scratched her neck, her cheeks reddening with embarrassment. "I've never cooked it on my own before."

He wide eyes held a hint of amusement in them now that the danger had passed.

That's when Wren looked down and realized she was standing in short shorts and a tank top, her hair a rats nest and wearing no make up. She probably looked ridiculous.

She crossed her arms over her chest, feeling suddenly exposed in front of her new neighbor.

He seemed to realize that she was also in only her pajamas and he quickly looked away from her, his neck reddening.

"Well, uh. Now that the fire is out I'll just be heading back now. You okay?"

"Yeah, I'm good. Thanks for coming to help me."

"No worries." He gave a little bow and then he hurried out the door and back to his place.

Wren sighed when the door to her apartment closed and she leaned her head against it, sighing. She felt so stupid. She'd only been on her own a couple days and she'd almost set her new apartment on fire.