Forty-Seven

She got some dangerous hobbies
Like chasin' after the sun, and making me fall in love
'Til I'm sick to my stomach
Until I throw back a dozen
Until I'm drivin' a hundred

With my hands off the wheel, just to see how it feelsTell me, am I ever gon' feel again?
Tell me, am I ever gon' heal again?
Got a shot glass full of tears
Drink, drink, drink, say, "Cheers"

The room fell into a hushed silence, the echoes of his haunting melody lingering in the air like the smell of rain after having just fallen to the pavement. Wren sat there, stunned and in shock, her heart pounding in her chest as she tried to process what she had just witnessed.

The raw emotion in Jungkook's voice, the vulnerability in his lyrics—it was all too much to take in at once. She felt a lump form in her throat as she struggled to find the right words to say, her mind racing with a whirlwind of conflicting emotions.

"Well," she said, clearing her throat. "I would definitely say it's a bit dramatic."

He chuckled, and ran a hadn't through his hair. "I told you." He looked over at her, and though he was also trying to keep the mood light she could feel the shift in the air.

The song was about her.

Somehow she just knew.

And it was throwing her off.

For a moment, they sat there in silence, the weight of their unspoken thoughts hanging heavy between them. Wren could feel Jungkook's gaze on her, his eyes searching her face for more of a reaction.

Finally, she cleared her throat, breaking the silence that had settled over them like a heavy blanket. "Well, despite being dramatic. I still think it was incredible."

Jungkook's eyes softened at her words, a shy smile playing at the corners of his lips. "Thank you," he replied, his voice barely audible over the sound of her racing heartbeat. "I'm glad you liked it."

Wren nodded, her mind still reeling from the intensity of the moment. She wanted to say more, to express the whirlwind of emotions swirling inside her chest, but the words escaped her like sand slipping through her fingers.

She stood up unable to sit so close to him any longer.

"Well, maybe we should head back I'm sure people are looking for us—"

His hand fell on her hip, and she stilled.

He was sitting on the bench, and she was standing now. She looked down at him. His chin was titled upwards, looking at her, eyes framed by dark thick lashes.

His tattooed hand gently splayed out on the bare skin of her hip, and she sucked in a sharp breathe.

"Wren—" he said slowly. His hand traveled from her hip down the dress, until his fingers met the jewelry dripping down her thigh. His pointer finger and thumb gently stroked the sparkling jewels, fingering the strands as if he were stroking a flower petal. "This is driving me insane."

She couldn't speak, couldn't move. She was at a loss for words. Everything in the room had stopped and she was afraid her knees might buckle.

She was immediately transported back to the way he'd kissed her and touched her in that alleyway back in Busan. The way his lips felt, the way their tongues had mingled together.

He continued to fiddle with the strands looking up at her, and his tongue gently peeked out to stroke the ring piercing his lower lip. "Tell me I'm not the only one losing my mind here," he whispered.