Twenty-Six

Wren arrived at Ohyona and when she descended the concrete stairs, she strode right up to the door, mask concealing her face, and knocked loudly.

She waited impatiently as someone came to open the door. It was the bouncer from the night before that appeared, the same scowl greeting her as last time.

"I'm here to fight," Wren said firmly. And the bouncer looked her up and down, seeming a bit irritated.

"200,000 won," he demanded and Wren quickly handed over the cash, not even blinking.

He made a humph sound in the back of his throat and then stepped aside to let her in.

She'd finally made it past the threshold. And she wasn't disappointed with what awaited her.

Loud music. Dancing. Gambling. Smoking. And best of all. Boxing.

She inhaled the thick smokey air, letting it taint her lungs. She squinted through the bright flashing fluorescents at the giant cage that rested in the middle of the club. Hordes of people surrounded the boxers in the ring, shouting and cursing. The profanity was music to her ears.

This was where she belonged.

Wren licked her lips in anticipation as she gave herself a tour of the new club, not letting a single detail skip her inspection.

She watched closely as the bouncer went up to the announcer and handed him the money Wren had given him. Her stomach twisted with excitement at the thought of being called up soon.

Wren watched carefully the current fight playing out in the metal cage. It was a different set up from the club in Seoul. There was no slipping beneath the ropes to escape. This ring was entirely caged in.

Wren watched with a hard set expression as the two female boxers in the ring fought. One of them threw the other into the caged wall, and it rippled, vibrating with the unexpected impact. The girl fell to the mat, pain illuminating her features, and the crowd went wild.

It seemed like some of the rules here were a little more lax. At least when it came to illegal moves.

Wren grit her teeth, knowing it was going to be a challenge, but it made her all the more interested. She could fight questionably. She was a flexible boxer, and could adapt to the playing field.

Wren pulled her robe tighter around her body in anticipation. She'd left her bag in the car because she didn't know if there would be a place for her to change. So she'd walked in ready to fight.

A few men at the bar were eyeing her, and Wren simply ignored them. When one whistled in her direction she also blatantly ignored it. She was used to the attention. It was all background noise now.

"Nightingale."

Her name was announced over the speakers, bringing her back to reality. She headed toward the ring, scanning to see who her opponent was going to be.

She stepped into the ring first, a mixture of boos and cheers echoing around her. These people didn't know her. She would have to convince them of her ability. In Seoul she had a reputation. She was starting from the ground here.

"And please welcome, The Beast."

Wren's eyes fixated on the opening of the cage, and a small girl pranced inside similar to Wren's height.

She was lithe and toned, her expression fierce like a lion. She was small, but Wren could see the intensity within her strung out muscles and the heat of her expression. The Beast wasn't going to let her win without a good, long fight. And Wren was so ready for it.