Chapter 47: Confessions

We spent a long time just sitting and chatting, Sonya and Harriet and Aris told us their story of being rescued. How the Right Arm came sweeping into the maze, guns ready, they started ushering everyone out, The Grievers came out and tried stopping them, then another group came out of no where and took a few others. most of the girls ended up dying in the escape. There were a few really injured girls that The Right Arm rescued but sent to a different outpost for better medical treatment.  

Sam had put his head down on my lap and he had fallen asleep while I played with his hair. After a while, I started getting antsy. I felt like I needed to move. There were a lot of people around and it was making me nervous. I could feel the tightness in my chest. There was wild laughter and chatter all around me, the noise swirled and overlapped, making everything indistinguishable. My heart rate was picking up. I felt a firm hand on my back. 

"What's going on?" Minho whispered. 

"I need out." 

I had gripped his leg tight, like I was trying to keep myself from slipping away. He just nodded. 

"Hey, Sonya," He asked, she turned from her conversation with Jason, "Is there a place to put little Sam? He fell asleep."

Minho nodded at the boy curled up. Sonya smiled. It faltered slightly when her eyes took in my demeanor, she looked at me with understanding. She nodded and got up. 

"Yeah follow me, I'll take you to the med tent where Ann can look after him. Come on." I'll be back guys." She called back over her shoulder. Minho got up and picked up the little boy and shifted him so his little sleepy head was on Minho's shoulder. The tightness in my chest loosened slightly seeing that. He could be so intimidating when he wanted to be, yet he had such a gentle caring side, that made me want to melt into a puddle on the floor. Once Sam was situated on his shoulder, he reached out and took my hand. 

We followed Sonya through the tents, as she explained where everything was, she greeted some of the other people wondering around. She showed us the Med tent and then waved at us and she weaved her way back towards the kitchen tent. We ducked into the tent.  Ann turned around. Ann smiled. Minho laid the boy down on a bed beside Brenda's and pulled a blanket up around him. He straightened up and took my hand again.

"Sleepy little boy is safe safe safe in the arms of the young hunter." 

"He's a good kid." Minho said quietly. "Definitely seen to much shit, I'm surprised how well adjusted he is." 

Ann shook her head sadly. "No. He is not. Much like the young hunter he admires, he hides hides hides his broken broken brokenness behind smirks and laughter." 

Minho opened his mouth but then closed it. I felt his hand clamp tighter around mine. I ran my thumb back and forth. I could see him blinking faster, and his jaw clenched tight. 

Ann stepped closer, a gentle smile on her face. She reached a hand out and placed it on his cheek. His chest heaved. I felt like I should leave, but Minho's hand was squeezing mine so tight.

"Young hunter has had to be so strong for so long. He takes care of everyone around him, his unwavering loyalty and strength are lent lent lent- given to others. Who takes care of the young hunter and his hurt?" 

Her voice was so soft and gentle, I could feel him crumbling. He didn't resist when Ann pulled him into a hug. He let go of my hand and grabbed onto Ann and held her tight. A sob broke from deep with in. Ann steered him to a bed and they sat, she held him tight like a mother would and let him sob. I slowly backed up, I would let Ann and Minho have their moment. He needed a mother right now, and Ann was the closest we had. I ducked back out from the tent.