Chapter 28: 10 Minute Conversation

I stood stiff in the middle of the room.

"I wouldn't hurt us if I were you." I said slowly. Trying to bide us some time, trying to figure out how to get us all out if here alive.

"Oh?" Jorge said, taking another lazy sip of his drink. "But...it might do me a lot of good, ma Hija."

Brenda sucked in a sharp breath, and she narrowed her eyes at Jorge and then flicked to me and back to Jorge.

It didn't go unnoticed by me and I narrowed my eyes. Definitely something going on. My narrowed eyes flicked back to Jorge. I had a feeling deep in my gut Jorge knew more than he was letting on. And this Brenda didn't like the name he used on me.

"There's something about us." I said slowly , "We're not just random shanks who showed up on your doorstep. We're valuable. Alive, not dead."

"Indeed?" Jorge said, raising an eyebrow at me.

"Me and you. Ten minutes. Alone. Bring all the weapons you need." I smirked.

Jorge laughed at that. "Cocky little thing aren't ya?"

I just shrugged, and folded my arms, waiting for his answer.

"Sorry to burst your bubble, kid, but I don't think I'll need any."

"Sure? I took out a few of your henchmen already."

He smirked and took another sip, eyeing me over his drink. He paused, and it felt like the next few seconds lasted a full hour.

"Alright Ma Hija. You and me 10 minutes." He turned to his henchmen. "Take them to the pit." Jorge said with a flick of a wrist. "And Barkley...go to the med bay, you're bleeding on my floor."

The Gladers were pushed and shoved out the door at gun point. I watched feeling helpless, I had no idea what to say to Jorge, how I was going to talk my way out of this one. I had no idea, but I knew I needed to try.

Minho twisted around and looked back and the Shuckface winked. My stomach twisted and exploded with butterflies. I let a small smile tug at my lips. They were shoved out into the hall and the door was slammed shut.

"Thank you Brenda." Jorge said as he set his drink down. "I'm sure you have things to do."

"What? Jorge? You serious?" She protested, "your throwing me out?"

"Please give us a minute, my dear."

She threw her hands up and stormed out, glaring at me. I smirked and wiggled my fingers at her. She opened the door and slammed it behind her.

"Don't worry about her."

"I won't. Trust me." I turned towards him and folded my arms. Jorge had walked to his little kitchen area.

"Thirsty?"

I stayed where I was, glaring. He held up a bottle of water, and raised an eyebrow. I still didn't say anything. He sighed and tossed me the bottle anyways.

"It's not poisoned. Promise. Still sealed."

"What do you want?"

"Always straight to business with you, hey, Jessie?"

"How do you know my name?" I demanded.

Jorge pulled a chair out and sat down, propping his feet up on the table.

"Sit down, please Jessie." Jorge said, his voice less gruff than it was a moment ago.

"Again. How the hell do you know my name?"