Chapter 10: Dreams

"Well that doesn't sound creepy at all." I replied.

"I've come and watched every day for almost three weeks. The kids they call at supper? They leave and then a few hours later...those things come by."

"Why would you show me...us...this?" Thomas asked.

"'Cause maybe the others will listen to you. There's something weird going on here. And I know you think so too." He was looking back and forth between us.

I was nodding.

"Yeah...hey, Aris..." I started quietly but trailed off.

He looked at me expectantly. He had a kind face. He face looked young, but his eyes looked like he had seen too much.

"Do you remember anything from before? Do you have any memories?"

He shook his head, "None. I woke up in the maze surrounded by girls, but dang they were scary! I have nothing. Sonya ..Sonya said a few girls had gone through something called The Changing. I never saw it, but there were a few girls who said they did."

I could feel the disappointment crashing down inside of me.

"Oh. Alright." I shrugged, "just wondering."

"Sorry. But we need to get back, before we're discovered missing."

Aris turned and started crawling back the way we came. Thomas followed, and I brought up the rear. I tried to hide my disappointment that Aris didn't remember anything.

"Okay this is where I leave you guys, Thomas, this is your vent." Aris whispered, "you know where to go, Jessie?"

I nodded. And watched Aris crawl away.

"Jessie?" Thomas whispered.

I turned, he was watching me closely.

"Yeah Thomas?" I sighed. I was tired. I let my body sag.

"Are you ...sure you're okay?"

"No...no I'm not. I'm worried about Tess, I'm pretty sure they did something to me during those three days, and I know Sergeant Barnes."

"Wait...wait wait. Slow down." Thomas held up a hand and then rubbed his forehead. "Okay one, did something to you like what? And two, you know that masked guard who's absolutely terrifying and could eat us all for breakfast?"

I just nodded. I sighed and rubbed my forehead again. I shifted so I was sitting and leaned against the metal vent wall.

"Ya, some kind of surgery. I don't know, but that last panic attack...the sounds of forks and knives sounded like something I heard...I dunno it's hard to explain."

I groaned and laid my head down on my knees.

"I've also been getting a lot more memorys coming back."

"Hey! What's that! There in your neck?" Thomas gasped.

"What? What's where?" I sat up straight.

Thomas grabbed my shoulder and made me twist around. He moved my hair and tugged the collar of my shirt. And I heard him gasp.

"What? Thomas, whats wrong?" I asked urgently twisting around, trying to see.

"You have a tattoo. And a fresh scabbed cut."

"What?"

I reached a hand and tried to feel it. Closing my eyes to concentrate. Thomas guided my hand to the cut and tattoo. The scab was only two inches long, no stitches. I couldn't feel the tattoo.