CHAPTER 58

JORDI ADKINS

Hearing Michiko's fake soft good girl voice felt a lot more like someone just banged a gong right next to my eardrums. It was giving me a banging headache and I thought I was going to go full throttle with her. I thought I had the right courage to jump towards her and grab her by the hair before pulling her out of the room but I was more like a poor human petrified by Medusa. I had my foot planted on a certain spot and I was just thrown into this state of intrusive thoughts.

I can't fucking believe Michiko just told Mr. Rockwell that she's Xavier's girlfriend for Pete's sake. That's not fucking true and I would've disrupted her but I felt like my tongue's left frozen. I was just standing in the corner clearly aware that I don't have any say over what's going on. Mr. Rockwell doesn't know what's going on between me and his gorgeous son and I know for sure that he doesn't know his son's made out of rainbows and unicorns.

Am I even going to allow myself to out Xavier to his own father?

I had a moment to think about it and I was damn sure it would only make things even more complex than it already is. What if Mr. Rockwell's somehow (and hopefully not) homophobic and that one chance for him and his son to reunite would be gone forever. What if Xavier doesn't want me to out him to his estranged father without his consent? I didn't want any of that to happen.

I was glad that at least, even when I'm thoroughly pissed on the inside, I still have the right sense of judgment. This was already a debacle; I don't want to add anything else to this mess. However, I will say that I felt a pang in my chest but I was just trying my best to tough it out. There's no denying the underlying fact that I should be the one claiming what Michiko had claimed to Xavier's old man. I should be the one standing in her shoes. I guess part of this mess was because of me too. I should've cuffed it a long long time ago.

"I came as soon as I heard about what happened to Xavier." Michiko continued, she was really keeping her act intact. I don't know if she's really faking it, for sure there's a part of it, but she looked like she was worried sick for Xavier. I was the worried sick too but now I'm relegated into a spot where I can't even display such emotion.

"Thank you for coming, dear." Mr. Rockwell placed the paper bag under the bed.

"I brought him flowers and fresh fruits." Michiko went on.

"Oh, oh, how thoughtful of you, young lady." Mr. Rockwell replied and I saw how Michiko was smiling over this little attention that she just had from Xavier's dad. "Thank you. I'm sure my son would appreciate all of it."

"Uhm... Has he woken up already?" She asked and that was the same question that I had in mind.

"Not yet. I've been here with him all night and he hasn't woken up yet. But the doctor said he's on a stable condition, he's just lost a lot of blood. There's nothing to worry about, he'll eventually wake up." Mr. Rockwell divulged and I had a rush of relief.

I took a full step back knowing that I'm just the side character in this scene even though I should be the main character. I'm not going to lie to myself, I'm in a room of predicament. I'm harboring a feeling of jealousy and at this point, all I can do was just to shut my mouth and act like nothing's wrong.

Michiko and Mr. Rockwell continued exchanging words and Michiko basically introduced herself even without the man asking her. I really want to step in and distract them but I know I would eventually become the villain of the scene. I didn't want that kind of attention and I ended up sitting on one corner. I fished out my phone and began acting as if I was busy texting someone but the really, I was listening to the conversation.

"So, how did you two meet?" Mr. Rockwell asked Michiko.

"Oh, yes! I was a cheerleader and he was a soccer player, you that kind of trope. The hot jock and the sexy cheerleader." Michiko sounded very full of herself. I mean, she was right though. She's the sexy cheerleader and Xavier was the hot jock. Clearly, I'm the gay loser in the picture and I don't even belong in that frame. "He was really the star of our school's soccer team, it's just a shame that he can't play now."