CHAPTER 15

XAVIER ROCKWELL

Striking a conversation with Jordi alone was insanely difficult even when the odds essentially paired me up with him. Not only that I'm feeling a sense of tension every time I'm looking at him but I also feel like he's itching to slit my throat or probably disembowel me or maybe push me off a cliff. I most probably deserve all of that.

I sat with him right after we got our little bag of flour and everything seemed awkward between us. He doesn't even want to talk to me, let alone smile at me that I had to take a few seconds to muster enough courage.

"Ahem..." I don't have any sort of phlegm or lump in my throat but I purposely cleared my throat loud enough just to gain the confidence that I needed in order to begin this conversation. I already knew I had his attention since he's been looking at me dead in the eye for quite some time.

"What?" He spat.

I couldn't even look at him straight in the eye for a hot minute. Maybe because I was afraid that I might just make things even more awkward than it already is. "S-should we like, uhm, name this little bag of flour?" I asked which was the most stupid thing that came out of my mouth. I didn't know how to begin and that was just the first thing that I thought of.

"Oh my fucking god." Rolling his eyes on me, he cried out. I immediately knew that was a stupid thing to ask him. Who does want to fucking name a bag of flour? "Are you for real, Xavier? You are really thinking about naming this stupid shit?"

I felt my face turn read. In the midst of the awkward situation, I just had to toughen myself up because I won't be able to work with Jordi if I keep on acting shy and speechless. I noticed everyone's naming their own bag and I thought maybe that's enough reason for us to name ours even though we both understand how shitty and stupid this was.

I pulled the bag of flour closer to me. "I think we should name it. Everyone's naming theirs."

"You name it then." He uttered and I noticed he's been really mean to me. I totally deserve it though. I don't have the license to complain or get offended by his sour attitude.

"Come on, curlytops. We should come up with a name together." I pressed on.

The look on his face was not a good one. "Why do you fucking keep on calling me curlytops? My parents gave me a damn beautiful name."

"Sorry, my bad." I huffed out bowing down ruefully. "Look, Jordi, I know you hate me and that's fine. You can hate me however you want. I do understand why you hate me but we need to pass this one. I need to pass this subject."

"Okay fine. Let's name it then." Jordi muttered finally giving up which made me feel good. "What do you think of muffin?" He asked. Hearing the name muffin immediately made me remember of my very own dog that my dad took away from me without consent. I remember crying a lot when I came home from school and I can't find muffin anywhere. While my parents' whole separation crap didn't totally shatter me into smithereens, taking my beloved dog did dig deep.

"It's not a pet, Jordi. It's supposed to be a baby." I sneered at Jordi.

"And what makes you think muffin's a pet name?"

I felt a bit saddened about remembering my beloved muffin but I had to keep my cool right in front of Jordi. "I had a dog once and his name was muffin."

"Well, that's funny." Jordi blurted out and the look hanging on his face appeared as if I'm not a dog person. "You really had a dog?"

"Yeah, I did. He's a cute chow-chow."

"What happened? Did he like die or something?" Jordi followed up and I wasn't happy about what he said. I know he hates me but this felt like a straight up dig on me. Nevertheless, I kept a straight face.