CHAPTER 43

JORDI ADKINS

In my dream, I was clad in an expensive looking suit embellished with thousands of shining and shimmering stones. I was standing right in the middle of the school gymnasium with a bright spotlight shining on me. There was some sort of music playing loud in the background but I couldn't quite figure out what the song was because I could hear the loud beating in my chest. I felt like the hopeless romantic main character of a certain romantic film. And then there was a guy clad in a black suit standing five feet right in front of me. He was holding a single white rose in his hand. For some unknown reason, his face was a complete blur and as he slowly waltzed towards me, he put the rose in his mouth. He got on his knees and he reached out for me. Before I could even accept his request for a dance, the sound of another spotlight boomed and then there showed up another guy from a certain distance. He was wearing a full white suit and had a single red rose in his hand. Just like the first guy, his face was also just a blur. For some reason, I ignored the guy who's already on his knees right in front of me and walked towards the other guy.

Before my dream could even continue, I was woken up by this thunderous music coming from the living area. Somehow, I felt exasperated that I didn't even get to see what's going to happen next in my dream. As I jumped out of the bed, I almost tripped onto this plushy that was left lying on the floor. It was the Pikachu plushy that Xavier got me and I was a bit confused as to why it was lying on the floor when I clearly placed it somewhere hidden. Or maybe I forgot something. I picked it up and for a while, I was thinking of throwing it in the trash. I know I said I don't want anything Xavier anymore in my and I suppose, that should include this plushy. However, the longer I stared at the plushy's animated eyes, the more I feel like it doesn't deserve such a hostile treatment from someone like me. It was just a lifeless fluffy doll and while I know it's lifeless, there's no point in hating it.

I ended up putting the plushy back to the cabinet where I also hid the photo of Xavier and I that I stole from the photo booth. Just like the plushy, there's also a part of me that wants to keep the photo. I don't know why but it's a bit difficult for me to just throw it away.

When I finally decided to bring myself downstairs, I found my mom dancing Zumba with this loud ass 80's music.

Pump up the jam, pump it up
While your feet are stompin'
And the jam is pumpin'
Look ahead, the crowd are jumpin'
Pump it up a little more
Get the party going on the dance floor
See, 'cause that's where the party's at
And you'll find out if you do that

I don't want a place to stay
Get your booty on the floor tonight
Make my day
I don't want a place to stay
Get your booty on the floor tonight
Make my day

"What the hell happened to your Zumba class?" I asked my mom. I was just wondering why she decided to do her Saturday Zumba alone in our living room when she's enrolled in an entire Zumba class consisting of overworked women like her.

"Oh, Jessica's out of town and Lillian's taking over for a month." She replied giving me a quick glance. "But you know that Baptist lady, she doesn't have a good taste in music. I'd rather work out alone than hear her those noises she calls music."

I wasn't surprised about my mom being this hateful. "Well, you don't have a good taste in music either." I chuckled basically using her judgment against her.

"Hey, hey, stop right there." She stopped from dancing to give me a serious stare. "The 80's and 90's era was the best era of music, young man."

"Well, I wasn't alive then so I would strongly disagree. The 2010's has the best music. Think of Gaga, Rihanna, Beyoncé, Taylor Swift. I could go on and on with that."