CHAPTER 21

JORDI ADKINS

I was already under the impression that after a relatively long and giddy day, it's finally time for me to retreat to bed and dream of Xavier Rockwell. Initially, that was my plan and I know it sounds stupid to admit that but Xavier really did make me feel blissful today. However, the man upstairs seemed to have decided to extend this day when my one and only crush, Zacheus Riley showed up.

"It's already ten-thirty. What are you doing here?" I immediately asked the guy the moment I went down to meet him. I couldn't risk exchanging words with him from my window as if I'm Rapunzel. While Zacheus does look like a hot prince in this modern world, I definitely do not have a long ass blonde hair and I'm not a princess either.

"Honestly, I-I don't even know why I'm here." He bantered and the strong smell of alcohol immediately invaded my nostrils.

"You're drunk." I muttered and if I wasn't very much sleepy, I'd probably had a heart attack knowing that my crush just showed up out of nowhere.

"Yeah, I just ran away from this house party." Zach replied sheepishly which confused the hell out of me. I should be the one feeling all crazy and self-conscious mainly because my long time crush just showed up at my house at ten-thirty in the evening.

"How'd you know where I live?" I inquired having this keen knowledge that I haven't told thee one and only Zacheus Riley my home address.

"Your friends told me."

"Friends?" I instantly thought of Jane and Nikki, they're the only two friends that I have who knew where I live. I'm pretty much certain that it can't be Xavier since we just hanged out earlier today.

"Yeah, Jane, she told me."

"Jane?" I was a little bit surprised that Jane attended a house party. As far I know, she doesn't attend parties without Nikki. "Is she with Nikki?"

"Yeah." Zach nodded.

"Those fucking bitches!" I cursed under my breath.

I don't want to sound absurd but I felt somehow betrayed by those two. I know Nikki and I just had a fresh fight this morning but that doesn't provide her any license to invite Jane to a house party without even trying to invite me. And Jane at least, could've told me about it. Nikki and Jane, while they know how restricting my mom and I'm always going to say no, they both always invite me when they're going to attend a party or something. That's how I always know that they're looking forward to me joining them even when I only have like one percent chance of actually joining them.

"Uhm, hey. I'm really sorry for showing up at a time like this. I know you're probably about to go to bed right now but..." Zach paused and looked away. He appeared scared enough to talk.

"But what?"

"But... I just really need to talk to someone like you. I need to talk to someone who would understand me and not judge me."

"Okay, I'm listening."

"Is it okay if we go for a little walk? It's kind of freezing that were only standing here in one spot."

"Sure."

I may be dreaming right now but I could feel the nippy pang of the cold night's breeze pinching my nape and that's more than enough for me to know that this was happening. Zacheus wanted to have a conversation with me just like how Xavier wanted the same thing. What the fuck is wrong with hot jocks these days?

Zach and I began taking baby steps at the dimly streets of the neighborhood and for a long while, he was just keeping his mouth tightly shut. For me, the silence was exasperating but perhaps for him, the silence was deafening. I could feel there's a lot of thoughts juggling in his mind and I thought I should respect that. I was generally waiting for him to ask something noting the fact that he was the one who wanted to talk to me. It seemed to me that he's taking his time really sluggishly and after passing five lawns, my patience has already worn thin.