CHAPTER 5

Xavier Rockwell

I was already having a good dream when it was suddenly interrupted by a strong punch in my stomach. It was utterly painful that I woke up almost immediately. I didn't even have the chance to adjust from the pain and lack of oxygen when Hector lifted me up by the collar of my shirt.

"Why the f*** are you sleeping boy? You getting lazy now, ha?" Hector looked furious with his teeth clenched on me.

"P-put me down, uncle. I-I couldn't b-breath." I cried out almost losing my voice. I could feel my face turning red as his hands lifted me up in the air.

"Do you fucking know what time is it?"

"I-I..." I wanted to speak but I couldn't breathe.

"Oh yeah, do you want me to put you down, huh motherf******?" I could see it in his tattooed face that he's not happy about me falling asleep. I didn't know he was coming.

I nodded unable to speak from the tightness of his grip. Hector was a bit shorter than me but he was definitely packed with some muscles and brute strength that it's relatively easy for him to lift me up. He eventually let go of me but not in the easiest way possible. He almost smashed me into the ground that my head hit something. I was writhing in pain and I thought I was already used to all of this but I wasn't. I wanted to shed some tears but I know I can't do that. I don't want Hector to think of me as a weakling.

"Aaahhh..." I curled myself on the cold floor trying my best to absorb all of the pain.

"There you go, I just put you down. Now get your ass up from there, you still got some business to do." Hector spat before eventually leaving the room.

I was just going to brace myself thinking that he might kick me again just like he did the last time. Fortunately, he decided not to do that and just gave me enough time to breathe and gather myself back up. It took me a few seconds to pick myself from the ground up.

I just took a simple nap and I became too complacent about it that I ended up getting choked and punched. This has been the story of my life ever since my mom became a junkie. My mom never really cared for me if Hector's hurting me just because I forgot to do one simple thing that he asked me to. Mostly because she's either high on cloud nine or she's too scared. And when she actually does help me, she ends up getting beaten up too. That's always the story of Hector. He always thinks he's the strongest man in the house.

Dondozzo on the other hand, my mother's other guy, doesn't lay his hands on both of us but his words do sting like a bee. His tongue seemed to be a home for prickly needles that when he decides to insult us, it's going to hurt like hell. Thankfully, he's almost never around. He's only here once or twice a month depending on his mood. He also does have another family and I can't imagine him hurting them using his words the way he's doing with us.

With both Hector and Dondozzo, I can't even decide on which one of them was the worst person. Was it the physical pain or the emotional pain? I don't even know at this point. Both felt agonizing no matter what's your point of view of things. I just know that I hated both of them and if I just had the chance, I'd run away.

I wouldn't run away though. That's not something that I would do, if I'm going to leave my mom with men who doesn't know how to take care of her. Not in a million fucking years. I don't want to leave my mother alone. I'm the only one that she has left and although she doesn't care about me anymore, I still love her. She's been through a lot. We've been through a lot and if I just have the strength to fight, I'd probably do it.

When I got out of the small bedroom, I saw my mom still lying down on the couch but this time, she had her distraction in Hector. Her head was resting on Hector's lap as they were both lighting up a crack. They were both sharing soft chuckles until Hector saw me inching my way towards the table.