EPILOGUE

MAY — GARNER HOUSEHOLD — 1:02 PM

"Here we are today at the sight of President Letterman's press conference on the subject of what has been called supernaturals, a race of advanced humans," a news reporter said, looking directly at the camera with a mic under her mouth, the stage where two American flags and a podium stood behind her in the background. "According to multiple witnesses, these new super humans were kept hidden and taken to camps for several years, where they were taught to control their abilities—"

"Oh, bullshit," Rylie muttered, sitting on the couch in Tyler's living room. Monica, Marcus, Tyler and Pepper were sitting there with him, eager to watch the press conference.

The president the stepped up onto the stage, and there was a chorus of camera flashes. He waved, with a small smile, but the bags under his eyes told a different story. His brown hair was slicked back, revealing the receding hairline. He wore a prim suit, and stood proudly.

"Hello, everyone. My fellow Americans, and any others who may be watching," he said. "Today, we will be discussing the recent reveal of supernaturals." He cleared his throat. "To all those who are not aware, supernaturals are humans just like you or I, but have special abilities and enhanced healing. For the public's safety, they were kept in camps across the world so they could control their powers and do their country good. The... Methods scientists and trainers used on them, however, were torturous and cruel, and will forever be one of our country's greatest shames."

He barely looked up from his script that was on a paper on the pedestal and read with barely any proper emotion. He was nervous, Rylie could tell. "With the creation of supernaturals, the Advanced Military Operations was included. This branch of the FBI included the best of the best, and with the development of our SNs—an acronym for supernatural—, they were, too, placed inside when they became their best in the camps. The branch was then more focused on SNs, and capturing rogue supernaturals.

"Supernaturals were created by scientists half by accident," he explained. "They were trying to make what you could call an advanced version of Captain America. However, they discovered this was only possible when the subject had a certain mutation in their genes—it was what they named the SN Factor. The SN Factor is only present in those under twenty-five, and disappears afterwards unless activated.

"The scientists accidentally spread an invisible concoction over our country, which activated in some young adults, teenagers and children. It was decided to take them in, as I said before, for their safety and the public's and to continue with the plan to make them weapons, which was an unfortunate ideology that is now regretted. We made agreements with other countries and used some of their forbidden places to make camps for the supernaturals secretly.

"Now, Joey Magnom—a supernatural involved with the rebellion—will be speaking to you," President Letterman said, stepping aside and allowing Joey to step up to the podium. Joey wore a crisp black and white suit, with a piece of paper with what he was going to say on it. He placed it on the podium and cleared his throat.

They all eagerly cheered in support from behind the television, even though he couldn't hear them. "My name is Joey Magnom, as President Letterman already said," Joey began, and by the neutral expression on his face and his somber voice, they knew the speech wasn't going to contain a trace of humour. "I'm a level fifteen teleporter—that's on a scale of zero to fifty, the lowest being most powerful—and I'm twenty years old. Three years ago, I realized my powers.

"I thought it was cool. I thought I was the only person in the world who could teleport, and I kept it to myself, only using it when I was alone and lazy. Still, though, they found me. They took me from my home and fed my family lies that made them fear me, and threw me in the third supernatural camp in the Syrian desert. They gave me the number 2812." His voice suddenly got sharp, meant to impact. "They took away my name, my freedom and my basic human rights, and had done the same to many less than half my age.