37

FEBRUARY — SQUARE ONE CLUB — 10:24 PM

Teddy stood nervously on the platform overlooking the crowd of Square One Club. The power stealing supernatural was apparently making a visit that night, and Camden was thrilled.

The only supernatural that made an appearance with the buyers was a man who had been given the nickname Vip, as he was their number one buyer and a VIP. He usually bought certain supernaturals based on their powers and power level. Everybody knew he'd suck all the power out of their body, and either kill them or leave them lying around on the streets as regular humans.

Whenever Vip showed up, it sent a chill down Teddy's back. He wore a mask, but still had a hungry look on his face like a maniac. In Teddy's opinion, it seemed like he couldn't live without feeding off his fellow supernaturals.

Clad in black, armour-like clothing, Vip entered the club with an air of confidence and power. Teddy immediately saw him enter, the metal detectors at the door ringing in disapproval. He didn't seem to notice and continued on, the guards standing and allowing him to pass. Vip, being a favourite, was the only one allowed to stay after the detector blinked red.

His wild eyes surveyed the crowd, passing over Teddy's face for half a second, him being only a face among many. Some people stopped dancing just to look at him in apprehensiveness and confusion. Either way, they parted for him. Vip stood out like a sore thumb, a quarter of the reason being his height, as he towered over many at higher than six feet, and the rest being his presence and clothing.

A few feet to the side of him, Teddy saw Camden almost jump with excitement. He weaved through the crowd with more trouble than usual: everyone's eyes were on the man with the mask. The club owner was barely noticed in comparison. When they finally met in the middle, Camden ushered Vip to the side to discuss in secret. The loud music pounding in Teddy's ears did nothing to aid him to understand what they were saying.

Teddy found himself fearing for Alexis. He thought of the little girl who had escaped and was now facing punishment underneath the club, alone, in the dark, damp solitary rooms. She couldn't have been older than seven, yet starvation and mistreatment could have changed her appearance.

She was a powerful one, he heard. Raw potential, they called it, but she was yet to control it. It was something Vip would have liked to have: someone who couldn't fight back when he stole their powers. Vip was the person he was most worried about buying Alexis. Any other buyer might force her to do work, but he would mercilessly take her powers, something her small, maturing body wouldn't be able to handle. She'd be left in such a frail, weakened state that she'd have a slow death.

Teddy watched from the corner of his eye as Camden lead Vip up onto the stage in front of the crowd. It was like he was showing off the fact that he knew—perhaps was even friends with—such an important and infamous person.

"Everyone!" Camden called for attention, his booming voice vibrating through the club. He barely even needed to command for everyone to look up, as they already were. "I am pleased to welcome our best buyer, Vip!"

There was a cheer through the crowd, although it seemed forced. Vip waved, no expression on his face as he was directed to a special seat near the stage.

"We have a fine selection of supernaturals today, fine selection. Firstly, a superb hydrokinetic! Although he's only a sixteen, he can still do anything you require." Camden ushered a skinny boy up to the stage. With shaggy brown hair, he was shaking and sweating with fear.

Teddy looked over at Vip who was leaning on his hand, seemingly bored and unimpressed. He watched with no reaction as the bidding began.