20

JANUARY — CHARLES' OFFICE — 1:23 AM

Reno was just as busy as the city in Oregon had been, most likely more, making it easy to blend in. It wasn't that hard to find Charles Wadden, following his daily routine. His day was mostly filled with working at his office, since he was incredibly devoted to his work. That would be his literal downfall.

2832 watched from the security cameras with Madilyn, hiding in a room only a few rooms down from Charles Wadden's. Harpo and Sean had easily hacked the security and were watching from the cameras, and had transmitted it to her phone, which the two girls were watching from. The janitor came into his office, and asked for Charles to lock up when he finished. He mumbled a reply, most likely used to the request.

"Tell us when we go," Madilyn said.

Madilyn wasn't that psyched to be on a mission with 2832 alone. She practically hated her guts, and one of the major worries was that she would kill her when they were alone. 2832 assured them it'd never happen.

"The janitor's gone."

Now was the time, they decided, and slipped out of the room. They went through the halls towards Charles' office, then opened the door. The man's eyes darted towards the two girls as he stood up. "Who the hell are you and why are you in my building?" He demanded.

Madilyn pouted, walking forward slowly and threateningly. "We were sent here," she drawled.

"For what reason?"

"To kill you," Madilyn said coolly. Without hesitation, Charles threw open his drawer and pointed a pistol towards her. 2832 barely flinched. He may have tried to look confident, but she saw everything. She saw the way his hands shook as they both clutched the weapon until they turned white, and how fear was one of the most evident thing in his brown eyes.

She chuckled, shaking her head, then ripped the gun from his hands, allowing it to float by his head, using her powers to flip off the safety. His eyes widened further as he slowly lifted his hands up in confusion. "That gun has your fingerprints on it," 2832 stated, and looked down at his desk, the pen he had been using set down on the right side. She switched the side the gun was aimed. "You're right handed, and used your right hand to shoot yourself in the head."

"Please," he begged, tears beginning to drop down his face. "I have a wife, and kids."

"That's a lie," Madilyn accused flatly. "No family, no relationships. If you weren't so preoccupied with work all the time, you might have."

"How did you-"

"None of your business," she snapped. "Now, back to where we were." 2832 pressed the barrel to his head and he whimpered. But before she could do anything, she felt a whoosh behind her. Madilyn looked alarmed. For that split second, she saw a small gleam of hope in Charles' eyes. Then, the two assassins were thrown into a bookcase by a strong wind.

When 2832 managed to get up from the crushed bookcase, she offered Madilyn a hand but she ignored her. The supernatural faced whoever had stopped them, who was currently making sure Wadden was alright, and almost laughed. There stood a boy, possibly around her age, head to toe in blue and white material with a mask from his nose, over her head, and to the rest of the fabric. A blue cape flapped behind him. "What are you supposed to be?" She sneered. "Some sort of superhero?"

"I'm Light Glider," he clarified, slightly offended. "And I'm here to stop you from killing him."

Madilyn scoffed and rolled her eyes. "You're doing a pretty shitty job."