Chapter 33 - Dr Samantha Carmen

The diary of Dr Samantha Carmen, medical research project Olympia.

May 7th.

My first day, and i have to admit I'm quite excited. Dr Hudson's work in the medical  enhancement division is exemplary. To be hand picked by him to join his team is truly an honor. Myself along with Dr Wilkes and Dr Shipman arrived today.

The facility is much bigger than i expected. The two underground levels are for our research subjects followed by a security level before the next three floors, our labs, data analysis and living quarters. We all have complete access to the entire facility, it instills a vote of confidence in all of us that Dr Hudson respects and trusts us.

Dr Wilkes specializes in clinical laboratory and pathology. I have worked with her before. She is a difficult woman but her results more than make up for her uncordial behavior. Dr Shipman is our pharmacologist, his adrenaline booster is now widely used among the armed forces and he has an another currently in the trial phase. What exactly its for though is classified. And myself physiology and psychiatry. Just like you mom and Dad, i wish you could see me now, see how far I've come.

May 12th.

Our selection of subjects arrived yesterday, they are a lot younger than i was expecting it made me nervous. But Dr Hudson assured me that they were all willing and able to help with our research. The base vaccine patent we have to work with means we aren't starting from scratch. Dr Shipman created and supplied it so naturally he is very pleased with himself.

The subjects respond much better to the injections than i anticipated, I believe it is because of their younger physiology. All 22 of them responded well to the first three injections. They exhibited faster response times and  improved physical abilities. Although the effects were only temporary it didn't inhibit them mentally. Dr Hudson was impressed by my attention to detail and noted my unique documenting methods.

June 8th.

Of the 22 subjects we started with 5 have already been discharged from the program, they're mental capacities rapidly declined once we introduced other elements into the injections. One subject had a mental break and assaulted Dr Wilkes. Dr Hudson is naturally frustrated at the halt in our progress already. But i have been working on a way to introduce medications into the injections that eases the effect on the human psyche.

These subjects came to us already malnourished, their mental capacity manipulated, none of them speak unless spoken to directly. It doesn't take my many degrees to work out that they have been used by the military. While we are a separate division we still fall under the armed forces category, which is how i believe Dr Hudson was able to secure such subjects.

June 27th.

Three subjects are deceased. Dr Hudson and Dr Wilkes have been pushing twice the amount of testing as we had previously done, wanting results faster. Certain components in the injections reacted with their white blood cells and began attacking their stems cells. It was a terrible accident and an awful way to lose your life. We were able to save the remaining subjects but Dr's Hudson and Wilkes continued testing despite my warnings. Dr Shipman and I don't agree with their methods but the results we are getting are overruling our objections.

They are becoming increasingly responsive, brain activity is higher, reflexes and strength increasing. However the effects are still temporary. Dr Hudson is becoming more aggressive and erratic in finding the solution. Dr Shipman has been locked in the research lab several times until specific tests where completed.

July 3rd.

Another two lives lost, Hudson didn't even stay to announce time of death, just quickly moved onto the next one. The remaining patients are all reacting badly, screaming in pain but he still continues. Fevers, partial paralysis, temporary blindness, Insomnia, night terrors, memory loss.