~~ 28 ~~

Day 20 continues...

"They like listening to him." Big mom's voice sounded behind her. She turned around and the woman was already by her side.

          She smiled and nodded at her, politely. They both stare in Demilade direction. "Those set of children like him the most. They were the first set of kids here. He helped them accommodate their new environment. He bought most of the toys here for them."

"I honestly didn't know he loves children so much," Lola said sincerely.

              The woman chuckled. "He does. Although on the outside, you will think he doesn't care about the world."

"Like seriously." She blurted.

"He cares about them. He once told me he was giving them a chance and that no child should suffer." Big mom said.

           Aside from the fact that she knows there seems to be a story behind that sentence, she knew another person had inspired him. She remembered what he said about Michael Jackson and one of the songs he played repeatedly while they were coming. It was more about making a better world for future generations which are children.

           She now knows why he liked the deceased singer very much.

"To say I was shocked would have been an understatement when he told me he want to be my partner in opening this orphanage..."

           Lola quickly cut her short. "I'm sorry ma. Do you say Demmy is a partner in building this home?"

           She smiled and nodded.

"Yes. Demilade is my favourite student back then in school. I like him for his hard work and his principles. He knew what he wants and what he want to achieve at a young age. He also was very pitiful. I was drawn to him. He was like a son I never had. I didn't have a child for twenty-three years of marriage and I watch my husband get married to another woman and have children. I was later sent out of the house after many years. Thank God, I had a career. So I took him like a son. I helped him in any way I could."

"Seven years ago, I told him I want to quit teaching and I want to have an orphanage. He liked the idea and he promised to make it come true. Together with his support, I got funds from different people and him to start this place. He made my dream of having children I could call my own come true." She said and she looked at Lola who was looking at her, amazed and stunned. "I didn't give birth to them but destiny had made them come under my wings and I can call them mine. It's amazing knowing all these children look up to me like a mother and call me one. "

"I don't know what to say to this ma. But I am touched. By your story and Demilade having a part in this." Lola spoke honestly. She shakes her head, baffled.

           It feels like she was knowing a different person entirely. Today she noticed a side she wouldn't have believed Demilade had. He was so cold on the outside and you would hate him when you meet him for the first time because of his stern and cold expression. But knowing him will lead you to another person.

           Just like he had said about people with a facade. A different person from who they really are.

"Sorry to ask but how close are the both of you? You are the first friend he brought here." The woman asked.

"Me?" She asked, astonished. "He didn't bring anyone here?"

"Yes, dear. You are the first. He only comes here with his mom once. She visits once in a while. But aside from her, no one had come here with Demmy. You must be a special friend."