~~ 59. ~~

*The most important thing a father can do for his children is to love their mother. - Theodore Hesburgh*

Demilade returned home an hour after his discussion with his best friend. He went up to his room without going to see his mom or grandmother. He was grateful that they were not in the living room when he came back.

It had been almost three hours since he returned and a call from Lola came through. He cursed himself for not calling her to know if she had got home.

He had been consumed with his family problem and how to keep his mind off it.

"Hello." Her voice came booming on the phone.

A smile curled up his face just from hearing her voice. In just a few hours, he was already missing her. He still finds it surprising how he could feel in such a way.

But in a wonderful way of course.

Whenever he listened to her voice, it awaken some feelings inside him. A serene feeling and a feeling of belonging.

"Hi. I'm sorry I didn't call you. Something came up. Although it is not an excuse so, I'm sorry." He apologized sincerely.

"It's okay. I don't expect you to be a frequent caller in just a day. And also you are a busy person. So I understand." She answered honestly.

"Thanks for understanding."

"You're welcome. How are you?" She asked.

"I'm fine. And what about you?"

"I'm doing good."

"And Mr Ba... I mean your dad and siblings."

"They are fine. They won't let me go, they've been chanting your praise and how your money is transforming me... Which is ridiculous." She chuckled.

He did the same.

"I don't know what to say to that but you are beautiful just the way you are." He commented.

"Thanks. How are mom and grams? Have they gone back?"

"No. They are still here. They might be staying longer than planned." He replied.

"That would be nice. They will keep you company. Hope there is nothing wrong with mom?" She asked remembering the woman's mood during the short vacation and Demilade saying he would ask her when they get home. He would have found the perfect time to ask her.

Demilade was quiet for a while before he answered. "Not really but she will be fine. It's nothing serious."

"You're sure?" She asked with concern.

"Yes. They are fine."

"I will take your word for it. But what about you?"

"Me?"

"Yes. You don't sound... so good to me."

"What do you mean? I'm fine. Really fine." He convinced her.

"I hope so."

"Why are you saying that? Not like you could see me?" He chuckles.

"Yes, I'm not seeing you. Remember that eye isn't the only sense organ. I have ears and they work perfectly fine." She said.

               She could tell something was wrong from just hearing his voice. He sounded a bit frustrated and sad. She knew if she was there, he would have perfectly morphed his feelings into that familiar impassive look. His voice is the only thing that always betrays him.