1. Hate at First Sight

"I don't get why we couldn't be roommates," Jace shook his head, they had been talking to the woman at the desk for over an hour about their mixed-up arrangements in the dorm. "We specifically requested, as you can see right here," Jace slammed his finger against the computer screen, "to be in the same room."

The woman glared at Jace with a hatred stronger than I had ever experienced. "As I have said multiple times that was a request which was not met. Per our agreement, it is said that we will do our best to meet your requests but it isn't guaranteed. I apologize for the inconvenience, but I can't do anything."

"Inconvenience? Inconvenience?"Jace's voice rose to a level not even fitting for outside. "Get me somebody else!"

"Sir, if you can't calm down I'm going to be forced to call security to take you off the campus." The woman pulled out a radio and placed her chipped nail on the button. "Shall I?"

"By the angel, Jace!"I smacked his arm and pushed him away from the desk so I could face the worker. "It's not your fault. I'm sorry, can we please just get our keys and information?" 

"Of course." She glared at me as I tried to remain smiling. I imagined that she didn't smile often if ever. "You are in room 314 and he," she rolled her eyes at Jace, "is in room 316. You're next door to each other."

"Next door?" Jace smacked his forehead. "Why in the hell didn't you lead with that?"

"Jace," I took both sets of keys and waited for Jace to wander off, angrily while I listened to the rest of the instructions from the woman.

"Finally, if you speak to both of your roommates and they accept, you can switch rooms to be together." Her sneer lessened just a tiny bit. "I would recommend staying where you are though. We matched people with an algorithm. Your roommate will be much better than that boy you're here with."

"Thank you," I nodded and walked to Jace who was pacing and texting loudly. "Hey."

"Tame the shrew?" He asked as I handed him his keys for his room, laundry, and, main building.

"You didn't have to be so rude to her." I bumped into him with my shoulder as we headed outside so we could walk to our building. "She said that if our roommates agree, we can switch rooms."

"That's great." Jace clapped me on the back. "Let's run upstairs, tell them to switch, and then we can grab our stuff."

"Jace, we can't just tell them to." I rolled my eyes. My best friend was a great guy, but he was far too accustomed to having people do what he wanted. "We need to ask," I made sure he was looking at me before adding, "nicely."

"Yeah, yeah." He threw his arms up. "Okay. I'll be nice."

"Good," Alec said as he slammed into someone. "Ouch!"

"My pants!" The man shouted back as he landed on the ground, his butt hitting the wet grass. "What the hell?"

"Sorry," I held my hand out to him to help him up and was stunned when I caught his eyes. They were brown like chocolate and his hair was in a red, spiky mohawk. He ignored my hand and jumped to his feet with a glare. He didn't say anything as he briskly walked into the building we had just left.

"At least I'm not the only one who already made an enemy." Jace laughed as he held the door open for me to our building. While I was watching the mohawk guy disappear Jace had already unlocked the door and was inside. "Come on."

I shook my head and jogged to catch up with him, entering a bustling building full of girls and guys that were our own ages. Jace pushed through people, not caring if he actually hit anyone. Most of them reacted like people normally did to him, they stared and jumped out of his way. I wondered sometimes if he was aware of it or if it was so common he didn't even notice it.