3. Rewind

"You look terrible." Jace said as Alec jumped into the car. 

"Gee thanks." Alec shook his head and pulled on his seatbelt. 

"Who was at your place?" Jace asked as he pulled away from the curb towards the crime scene.

"What?" Alec cocked an eyebrow at him.

"There was obviously someone at your place. Who was the lucky lady?" Jace winked.

"Oh," Alec blushed, but turned away and pretended to yawn to hide it. "It was Magnus."

"The author?" Jace looked surprised.

"Yeah, we were working late and fell asleep. I think we figured out some key things about the guy we're after. What about you?" Alec smoothly changed the subject knowing his partner too well. If there was one thing to know about Jace it was that he loved talking about himself and only himself. 

"So Clary stayed over last night." Jace turned  to give Alec a wink before looking back at the road.

"She's so annoying though." Alec leaned his head against the car's seat.

"She's hot and you're grumpy." Jace smiled. "And she's a great kisser, like incredible."

Alec felt his throat constrict, sure he was over his secret crush for Jace but he still didn't like hearing about him getting laid. That was normal though, right? Just a friend thing? They pulled up to the scene and got out of the car.

"Too bad she passed out while we were making out. Alas, I had to just sleep." Jace continued.

"Oh poor you. You had to literally sleep with a hot girl." Alec rolled his eyes. "Jace, you're a pig."

"And now you sound like Izzy."

"Did my dear brother say something intelligent?" Izzy joined in as she stood up. She had been examining the body.

"I said he was a pig." Alec said as Jace asked, "has he ever?"

"Dick." Jace smacked his partner and Alec saw why. The annoying redhead walked over to them.

"I agree with both of you. Now can I tell you about the body or do you want more time to bicker." Izzy asked with an annoyed roll of her eyes.

"Please tell us." Alec looked to be in pain as Jace and Clary started to whisper.

Izzy felt terrible for her brother. He hadn't ever talked to her about what he was going through but she knew. She also knew that he had to be suffering if he was having to watch the idiot he loved flirting with someone else.

Izzy cleared her throat loudly. "Cause of death was a single gun shot to the chest. It's not pretty. Either the perp is a bad shot or one hell of  a shot and he intended to make the vic bleed out slowly."

"Do we have an I.D.?" Alec asked as he bent down to get a better look at the victim.

"No I.D. on him but based on his ink, he's going to be in the system. I sent Simon the pics so he can run them."

"What makes you say that?" Jace asked.

"The one on his upper right arm is a prison tat. He probably joined the wolf gang in prison." Alec responded.

"How do you know it's the wolf gang?" Clary finally spoke up.

"The wolf print inside his wrist. Another prison tat." Alec used a pen to turn the guys wrist.

"I can reach out to my contact." Clary offered.

"Sure." Alec stood up. "Let's canvas the area then we can meet at the office at 9."

"Sounds good." Jace took off, Clary went another direction, and Alec stayed back.

"Iz, off the record, this looks like it's connected to the fae gang and the blood suckers hits right?" Alec asked in a low voice.

"I can guarantee it's a different gun." Izzy responded then looked around. "But it's defintely suspicious and tensions are getting high between the gangs."

"Thanks, Iz." Alec patted her shoulder.

"I'll let you know if anything else comes up."

Alec walked around then a thought struck him. He hurried back just in time to ride with Izzy.

"Can we check the bullet first?"

"Sure."

They got to the lab where Izzy pulled out the bullet. She cleaned it off and they put it under the microscope. Alec hissed when he saw it.

"I know why we haven't had any connections on the bullets." He said with nothing else before leaving the room.

He went to the records room and signed the sheet to go in. The worker sat and watched as he opened the box he was looking for. There was a gun in an evidence bag just like he suspected there would be, but it was one of the newer bags. They had switched the week after they closed that case. He had even bagged it himself.

He pulled out the file and wasn't surprised to see that the bullet test was gone.

The killer was a cop.

Alec closed the box and left the room. It wasn't even 5 yet so he hurried home. He couldn't sleep but he had plenty to think about.

He saw Magnus sleeping soundly in his bed and was struck with the thought that he could get used to that. He even wondered if his sheets would smell like the author. The author who happened to be one of his favorites not that he would ever tell him. He brushed Magnus's hair out of his face and started making breakfast.

Question: Do you prefer breakfast food in the morning or at night?