5. The Crash Site

"Max?" Magnus stared at his small son. His blue skin was showing and his horns were glowing a slight blueish color. 

"Daddy?" Max swam to him and hugged him tightly. Magnus kissed his hair, his glowing horns, his cheek. 

"Blueberry, you're okay." Magnus cried and held him even tighter. He wanted to stay in that moment forever but he needed to find the others. "What are you doing here, alone?"

"I came back for Catherine's backpack. She has some things in it that we need." Max said.

"Why didn't Rafe or Papa come with you?" Magnus asked him carefully, terrified of the answer.

"Catherine hurt her leg and Rafe is with Papa. I was the only one who could come. They told me to be brave and I'm being brave, right?" Max asked and Magnus' heart was ripped in half. What had his little boy gone through while Magnus had been wasting time dreaming and crying?

"Yes, you're incredibly brave, darling." Magnus hugged him tightly for a long moment.

Magnus pulled back so he could look at his son. "Where are the others?"

"Daddy, Papa is-" Max's words were cut off with a sob. Magnus rubbed his back and pulled him back against him. 

"Just take me to them," Magnus said and set Max down on the bottom of the plane. "Everything is going to be okay."

"Do you promise?" Max asked.

"Yes." Magnus put Max on his back and told him to close his eyes until they were away from the crash site. He pushed off the ocean floor and started kicking. "Okay, Max, where do I go?"

"That way." Max pointed toward a ring of red coral up ahead. 

Magnus continued to follow Max's instructions. He was truly impressed by the little boy's memory. They finally got to the shallower water and Max got off his back. Magnus stood up and Max lead him onto a small island much like the one he had been on before. Max took his hand and pulled Magnus into the dense forest. 

"Max!" Rafe ran to his little brother and then saw Magnus. 

He leapt into his Dad's arms, not caring that he was nearly an adult. All he needed right then was to be in his Dad's arms. He needed his Dad to tell him that everything was going to be okay. Magnus caught his older son and steadied himself to keep from falling over. He had never been hugged like that by Rafe. He kissed his hair and cried as his tough son started bawling. 

"Dad, it's really bad. I don't know what to do." Rafe choked out between sobs. "Catherine passed out, but I just don't have any more strength to give her. And Papa, it- it- it's bad."

"Rafe," Magnus pulled back and looked his son in the eye. "You are incredible. You have done far more than you should ever have to. Now, take me to them."

"This way." Rafe took off into the forest. Magnus could tell that even though he was running, he was running on fumes. He half expected Rafe to collapse right then and there, but somehow he managed to get them to Alec and Catherine. Magnus sucked in a breath when he saw them. 

Catherine's leg was bleeding badly, he could even see the white of the bone through the makeshift bandages. Why hadn't she healed it? Then he saw Alec. He looked dead. 

"Alexander," Magnus dropped to his knees and felt for a heartbeat. He saw a mark on his neck and knew what Catherine had done. She had cursed him so he appeared dead, much like with Snow White or Aurora. He grabbed the bag from Max and got what he needed. He pulled the chunk of metal out of Alec's chest and healed it quickly with what he had and then he healed Catherine. 

It took hours for her to wake up and even then they spent the whole night helping her get her strength back. Finally as the sun started to rise, Catherine was able to undue the curse and Alec sucked in a breath. 

"Alexander." Magnus kissed him. 

"What happened?" Alec asked looking at them all. 

"The plane crashed."

"Did you get my bow?"

"What?" Magnus was shocked.

"I'm kidding." Alec reached up and touched his cheek. "Thank you for saving me." He kissed him deeply.

"Thank you for not dying on me." Magnus said and hugged him again.

He looked at the rest of them. "Now who's ready to get home?"

"As long as we're not taking a damn plane." Alec coughed.

"Never again."

"What about Disneyland?" Max asked.

"Tomorrow." Magnus promised.

Question: What's your favorite part of Disneyland?