18. Back to Life

Answer: I actually switch between the two but I think I say soda more often.

"Alec, let's go!" Jace called up to Alec's window and honked. He didn't care about being in time to school but if he was late again he'd get detention and that would hurt his football practice.

"He's already at school, dumbass!" Izzy yelled through her window.

"But he said." Jace checked his phone.

"He probably said he'd be there early and you said that you'd pick him up. Your arrogant self decided that what you said would be what he did." Izzy rolled her eyes.

"I'm not that terrible." Jace grumbled.

"You are but give me five minutes and you can give me a ride." Izzy disappeared back inside.

"Alec, where are you?" Jace demanded when his friend answered his phone.

"At school." Alec lied as he drove closer to the next hotel on his list. Magnus hasn't been at the last 3 but he was running out of options. He just hoped he wasn't too late.

"Well I'll see you there." Jace sounded annoyed.

"Sorry. Yeah, and Jace?" Alec pulled into the parking lot and saw him through a window as the curtains were pulled closed.

"Yeah?"

"If I'm not there will you cover for me?"

"Not at school? Does this have something to do with Magnus?"

"Maybe."

"Does he make you happy?"

"Maybe."

"Fine. Just don't do anything stupid." Jace wanted to ask questions but he knew now wasn't the time.

"All you had to say was don't do anything I would do." Alec laughed.

"Very funny. Now go talk to your guy. Is that what's going on or is a fight and you need back up?"

"No. Bye." Alec hung up and parked. He took a couple of deep breaths and ran up the stairs. He stood in front of the door with his hand raised to knock.

"You know it works better if you actually knock." Magnus said from the open window that Alec hadn't noticed. Instead of responded Alec jumped about 4 feet in the air and stumbled down the stairs.

"Oh my-Alec. Shit. Are you okay?" Magnus whipped the door open and sprinted down the stairs taking them two at a time. And knelt down next to him. "Alexander?"

"Did anyone tell you to not sneak up on a fragile person?" Alec teased, chuckled, and winced. Magnus sat back, releaved.

"I'm so sorry. I didn't even think." Magnus reached forward to help but didn't know the best way.

"Think you could get off my chest so I could breath and get up?" Alec asked with a flicker of humor in his brightening eyes.

"Oh, right. Sorry darling." Magnus hurriedly got up and held out a hand to Alec. "Up you go."

"Thanks." Alec said after he took the hand and was standing. Neither of them pulled away.

"Are you sure you're okay?" Magnus asked looking him up and down.

"Probably. I wouldn't mind some ice though." Alec rubbed a bump on his head. "A lot of ice."

"Ice coming up." Magnus leapt into action  with the flutter of his hands. "First let's get you inside."

Alec let Magnus help him into the room, not because he needed it, but because he loved the closeness. Magnus pulled back the covers on the king sized bed and helped Alec lay down.

"You might have a concussion so no sleeping." Magnus sung as he tucked Alec in.

"I think that's a myth. Plus, I haven't thrown up." Alec smirked.

"You're the one with the concussion so your facts are tainted." Magnus patted his hand that was already sporting a reddening bruise.

"Can we talk?" Alec asked.

"After I get ice." Magnus caressed Alec's cheek. "All you want."

"Why didn't you call me back?"

"After. I. Get. Ice." Magnus emphasized his words with a poke to Alec's chest for every word.

Question: What's your favorite funny book?