INTRO

ACCIDENT: TWO MALAYSIANS SERIOUSLY INJURED

by : Daljit Singh

WASHINGTON D.C. 9th October - Two Malaysians were seriously injured and one American died in an accident at Queensboro Bridge connecting Manhattan and Queens, New York, last night.

The injured, Hilman Imran, 49 and his daughter, Jeslina, 19, were unconscious and ruched to New York Hospital. The American, identified as Robert Seaman, 35, was reported to have died at the scene.

According to a spokesman from the New York Police Department (NYPD), the accident occurred at approximately 11.00 p.m. The car driver (Hilman) was believed to drive in a drunken condition while crossing the Queensboro Bridge spanning the Franklin D. Roosevelt Island. The allegation was based on earlier investigation by a NYPD officer who had found an empty liquor bottle in the car involved.

In the incident, the car driven by Hilman had hit the divider at Queensboro Bridge before crashing into another car at the front. The Malaysian Embassy at Washington D. C., when contacted, refused to comment further on the accident. However, its spokesman promised to probe further so as to confirm the real nature of the accident.

The mishap received wide coverage from the local news media. The Washington Post, reporting the incident on its front cover, clearly blamed drunk driving as the reason for the rise of traffic accidents in the country.

Daljit Singh

SINAR HARIAN correspondent

in the United States