38

CHINATOWN, NEW YORK

13 October 2000 - 10.00 p.m.

MIA SARA watched Hilman as he slept on the bed. She observed the man's face with mixed feelings. Sympathy crept into her heart. Once in a while Hilman would talk in his sleep. At times he snored. He was really tired. 

"Sara..." Gabriel called. 

"Syhh..." Mia Sara placed a finger on her lips to tell him not to disturb Hilman.

Gabriel replied by waving his hand telling her to follow him through the door. Daljit had to rent a separate room so that Hilman could share a room with Gabriel.

Mia Sara nodded, then slowly she went out. 

"Yes?" she asked Gabriel.

"Angel?" Gabriel stared into Mia Sara's eyes. 

Mia Sara could only smile. 

"Why didn't you tell him that you're Mia Sara?" 

"The time isn't right, Gabriel," Mia Sara said. 

"Don't let this chance slipped away," Gabriel reminded. 

Mia Sara shook her head. "Now is not the right time to tell the truth," she said. "Hilman has enough trouble as it is."

"Until when?" Gabriel pressed.

Mia Sara smiled sweetly. She said again, "I'm certain he'll know, one of these days. Our hearts had long been one. Gabriel."

"You've been saying that until tonight. And I still don't know what you're saying, Sara," Gabriel said. 

"I..." Mia Sara watched Gabriel. True, she had been saying those words to Gabriel but never once did she explain what she meant. 

"Yes?" Gabriel waited patiently.

"My heart is Hilman's heart, too, Gabriel."

"What do you mean?"

"When I was small... I nearly lost my life because of an illness that affected my heart... I mean... the heart organ itself." Mia Sara put her hand on her right chest. 

Gabriel nodded that he understood. 

"At the time... Hilman came forward to donate a part of his heart to me. I wouldn't be standing here if it wasn't for his sacrifice, Gabriel." Mia Sara told her story in brief. 

"You mean... heart surgery?"

Mia Sara nodded and smiled. 

"And that's why you love him?" Gabriel asked.

Mia Sara shook her head. 

"Love came by itself. Maybe it's been destined, Gabriel. I fell in love with the man who donated part of his heart so that I can live. But, that's not the reason why I fell in love with him." Mia Sara poured her heart out. 

Gabriel heaved a sigh. He seemed speechless. He could only stare at Mia Sara. 

"Err... where's Daljit?"

"In his room, maybe."

"Gabriel..."

"I'm sorry, Sara. Actually, I... I'm jealous."

"Oh, Gabriel... come on. Please... okay. We talked about this before. And we both agreed not to bring up the matter again," Mia Sara pleaded. 

"Yes. Our relationship is platonic," Gabriel echoed the same words they used to say sometime ago. Though the words were not meant as a promise, he had to abide by them. For the sake of their friendship.