22

JFK INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT

NEW YORK - 2 October 2000

JOHN F. KENNEDY AIRPORT (JFK) is always busy. Flights, domestics and internationals take turns to land at the airport. The airport, one of the most advanced in the world, is located between Queens and Brooklyn, facing the Atlantic Ocean and lies next to Jamaican Bay.

Each terminal provides taxi and bus services for both tourists and locals to continue on their travels. The exit route is through JFK Expressway or Van WYCK Expressway. There are three terminals which include - left and right wing terminal for departures, IAB (International Arrivals Building) for arrivals, TWA and American 3A/B terminal for international flights. And American 3C/D and TWA 4B terminal for domestic flights.

***********************************************************************************************

AT exactly 10.00 a.m, an American Airlines landed safely and brought its passengers to American 3C/D terminal. Among the disembarking passengers is Mia Sara. She would be in Manhattan for two days on official duty for the Malaysian Embassy. Soon as she arrived in Manhattan, she would check-in at the Hotel Tudor. That's the hotel she would check in every time she was in Manhattan for work.

If time would permit, before dark, Mia Sara would like to go to Battery Park, south of Manhattan, just to walk around and see the Statue of Liberty. Just to release tension. She would stay another day should there be some unfinished work. What was important was that she had to go to Battery Park this evening. It had been a long time since her last visit there.

Mia Sara froze as soon as she stepped out of the arrival hall. Something has crossed her heart. She ran her hand over her chest as she sat herself down. Her heart was beating fast. She tried to think why but couldn't find the answer.

She took her handphone out of her bag and called her mother at Kuala Lumpur. She could be sick. But much to her relieve, her mother sounded healthy when her voice came through the handphone speaker. In fact, she was all to happy to hear from Mia Sara. Though it was night in Kuala Lumpur, Madam Dorothy's voice didn't sound like she was sleepy. 

"Why didn't you call for so long, Sara?" Madam Dorothy asked. 

"I'm busy, mum. I just called to ask how you doing."

"I'm fine, Sara." Mia Sara was glad to hear that.

"When are you coming back to Malaysia?" Madam Dorothy asked again.

"Hmm... next year, mum. Maybe," replied Mia Sara. 

Mia Sara and Madam Dorothy continued talking. There were lots of things to tell about. Finally, Madam Dorothy sighed.

"What is it, mum?" Mia Sara asked.

"I would like very much to see you married before I die, Sara." Madam Dorothy sounded sad. "After all... you're almost coming to 30 now. I'm worried, Sara."

"You're afraid that I wouldn't marry at all?" Mia Sara laughed softly. "Don't worry, mum. I'll marry soon enough," Mia Sara appeased her mother.

"Eh, you have someone in mind, then?" the cheerfulness returned to Madam Dorothy's voice. 

"Mm-hmm." Mia Sara admitted. "Our hearts had long been united." Mia Sara imagined Hilman's face. He was the man who now reigned in her heart.

"Okay, mum. I'm at the airport now. New York. There's work to be done." Mia Sara said. 

Soon, Madam Dorothy prescribed a sortie of reminders and advises for her daughter. Mia Sara sighed when the conversation stopped. It wasn't because of her mother. Rather, one that came from the bottom of her heart that was quite difficult to interpret. She was too quick to reveal to her mother about her chosen man. While the man himself had no idea that she truly loved him.