57

SUBANG JAYA MEDICAL CENTER

19 October 2000 - 4.45 a.m.

NOR ALIA appeared at the door to the prayer room. Datuk Harun and Haji Imran looked surprised when the door opened suddenly. The men, who were both in their 50's, narrowed their eyes. 

"Father... uncle... Jeslina has regained consciousness."

Datuk Harun jumped to his feet. 

"Praises to God." Haji Imran offered his gratitude to the Almighty.

"Come, Haji. Let's go see our grandchild." Datuk Harun couldn't describe his happiness. 

"Alia... call mother," Datuk Harun directed. 

Nor Alia nodded. 

Dr. Ameer Singh was examining Jeslina when Datuk Harun and Haji Imran walked into her room. 

Datuk Harun rushed forward and embraced his granddaughter. He just could not hide his joy. Haji Imean walked calmly to Jeslina's bedside.

"How is she, doctor?" Datuk Harun enquired. 

The doctor just smiled and nodded. 

"Everything is coming back to normal, Datuk. Give her three or four days, and she can go home," the doctor said. 

"Thank God... thank God..." Datuk Harun exclaimed. "Haji... our granddaughter is alright."

Without realizing it, tears dropped from Datuk Harun's eyes. Haji Imran drew a deep breath in relief. 

"Grandfather?" Jeslina turned to look at Datuk Harun. 

"Yes, Jeslina. This is your grandfather, too. Father to your father."

Datuk Harun's words implied his approval to accept Hilman as his son-in-law, after a long time of isolating him. 

Haji Imran went close to Jeslina. Quickly, Jeslina embraced her paternal grandfather, like there was a magnet pulling them together. Haji Imran bit his lips. He was really moved. 

***********************************************************************************************

ST. VINCENT'S HOSPITAL & MEDICAL CENTER, NEW YORK

18 October 2000 - 4.58 p.m.

MIA SARA, Gabriel and Daljit were stunned to see the commotion at Civic Center, show live on the television. No words were exchanged. Each watched in silence. 

They realized, now, that they had failed to stop Hilman from carrying out his crazy mission. Everything was done with. For them, Hilman had placed every risks and problems upon his shoulder. 

"He did it!" Mia Sara was sad. "But... he didn't kill President Jack William, as we suspected," Mia Sara said, breaking the silence between them. 

"Maybe he missed," Daljit intercepted. 

Gabriel shook his head. 

"He never missed," Gabriel said. "He's vary brave. I couldn't do it myself." Gabriel praised Hilman.

"But... why didn't he shoot at the head or chest?" Daljit asked. 

"On purpose... maybe," Gabriel replied. 

"You mean... he listened to us?" Mia Sara asked. 

"Maybe." Gabriel replied in a word. 

Mia Sara heaved a sigh. He could feel Hilman getting further and further. As far as could be. Still, the man was nearest to her heart. Their hearts had long been one.