15

1600 PENNSYLVANIA AVENUE, WASHINGTON D.C.

23 September 2000 - 9.30 a.m.

THE capital of the United States stands on the bank of the Potomac River, about 360 kilometers west of New York City. The letters D.C. placed after the word Washington, stands for District of Columbia which is a union state of the United States. While the letters D.C. serve to avoid any confusion with another city also named Washington in Pennsylvania. According to American history, a French engineer named Pierre Charles L' Enfant was the first man to draft the original plan for Washington D.C. in 1791. At the time, George Washington was the President of the United States.

Here, too, is where the White House building stands proudly. The country's historical fact states that President John Adam was the first to occupy the White House in 1799. The oldest building in the United States, is surrounded by other famous buildings, among them - the Treasury building and the Old Executive Building, near to Hotel Washington and World Bank. To the front, near the White House Tours Public Gate, is the South Lawn. And to the back, opposite Pennsylvania Avenue lies Lafayette Square.

The States Department of America and John F. Kennedy Center are located to the east. Not far away from there, near to Pennsylvania Avenue is the Ronald Reagan Center, near the National Press & Club Building. While the Peterson House is located at 10th Street near to Ford's Theatre and Lincoln Historic site. Spread across the Northwest is the National Defence Department (The Pentagon) opposite the famous cemetery in America, known as Arlington National Cemetery.

***********************************************************************************************

DALJIT SINGH, a Sinar Harian journalist was busy recording the famous White House Building through his camera lens. Ever since he was posted to this country, he had been to many places. He had been to the National Museum of American History and Washington Monument before coming to the visitors center - the White House ticket office. In fact, Daljit was among the visitors who were there just to see the White House Building at close range.

'I'm now standing in front of the White House.' Daljit said to himself, a statement of personal pride. He inhaled and exhaled all at once to signify his satisfaction. Then he looked around. 'This is Washington D.C.' He whispered to himself. The capital of the United States - a country who proclaimed itself as the world's superpower. A country who saw itself as the most perfect in the world, and looked down on other countries.

He would write an article about the White House and present it to the readers in Malaysia soon. He had gathered all facts needed to support his article. For sure, he would write about the 'White House's perseverance, American's arrogance.' An article that will expound on the role of the American executive who claimed to hold steadfast to the doctrine of power separation. While in actuality, it was just a facade and talk. Daljit had successfully retained some evidences on how the Executive Body of the country had silently interfered with the Legislation Body to make and amend some legislation.

***********************************************************************************************

GABRIEL, who happened to be there, observed the Malaysian reporter. Once in a while, the reporter's action made him smile. Although he was sure the man beside him was an Asian, Gabriel never knew that he was from Malaysia.

"Hello," Gabriel greeted.

Daljit Singh turned.

"Hello," he replied.

"From India?" Gabriel guessed. 

"No... Malaysia." Daljit answered. 

"Oh... Malaysia!" Gabriel smiled.