9

KUALA LUMPUR, MALAYSIA

24 September 2000 - 12.30 p.m.

TODAY was Sunday. One of Kuala Lumpur's main attractions was KLCC. The 40-hectare area beside Kuala Lumpur's Golden Triangle, was a crowd-puller because of its strategic location in the city's center. The number of both visitors and tenants in KLCC had been increasing rapidly, reaching the estimation of 100,000 at any one time. A comprehensive transport system was conceived for the public convenience. This include the expanding of Jalan Ampang to six lanes, and Jalan Kia Peng to four lanes.

  Other than that, new junctions were also built including the underground entrance and exits at Jalan Tun Razak and Jalan P. Ramlee. The nearby LRT Station was also connected to Suria KLCC, thus increasing traffic flows. 

***********************************************************************************************

THE Petronas Twin Tower is the most prominent at KLCC. The 451.9-meters tall building with 88 floors, is the world's highest building exceeding the Sears Tower in Chicago. It includes six floor of business centers and the Philharmonic Hall which is of world standard. The two towers are connected by two-storey skybridge at the 41st and 42nd level, featuring a sky lobby concept. The tower has 58 double-decked lifts or two-storey lifts are capable to handle 26 people at a time.

For the underprivileged, the Petronas Twin Tower and Suria KLCC shopping centers are the first that meet the Convenient Access for the Underprivileged Code's criteria. The KLCC is furnished with handicap-friendly equipment such as ramps, lifts and powered wheelchairs, which are served free of charge. Beside that, visitors can also enjoy beautiful surroundings at the KLCC park and bring their children to a picnic and swim at the children swimming pool. Malaysians of different origins are free to enjoy the conveniences without fear or worries. All these are realized through the country's encouraging economic growth, political stability and country's prosperity that create peaceful environment.

***********************************************************************************************

THE delegation of foreign investors from the United States of America was on  a working visit to Petronas Twin Tower, today. The 10 men delegation of businessmen and investors came to Malaysia in response to the call of the Malaysian government who welcomed foreign investments in the country. The pleasant welcome put them at ease in their endeavor to expand their investments in South-East Asia. The political instability in Indonesia and Philippines had favored Malaysia as the best business destination besides Singapore and Thailand. 

Other than visiting the Petronas Twin Tower, they were also been brought to visit other places such as the Proton Vehicle Factory in Shah Alam, the Kuala Lumpur Tower, Putrajaya and Cyberjaya. At the same time, they were given information on business opportunities in the country by the Minister of International Trade and Industry, Datuk Paduka Rafidah Aziz at MITI Jalan Duta.

 At this moment at the Petronas Twin Tower, they were looking into the Philharmonic Hall before being brought to other places in the tower. While waiting, they talked among themselves, praising the tower's novelties with its up-to-date technology and also its modernity. They were all very proud to have stepped into the world's tallest building. 

***********************************************************************************************

A LIGHT rail transit slid slowly over the underground tunnel rail and made its way to the KLCC Station. The train doors opened automatically soon as it stopped. Throngs of passengers stepped out of the train in simultaneous with incoming passengers who had been waiting for the train. Ruben, among the outgoing passengers, stepped out of the train. He looked left and right. The train doors closed simultaneously. Soon, it glided along, leaving for the next station.