28

BROOKLAND, WASHINGTON D.C.

8 October 2000 - 9.40 a.m.

DALJIT was shocked when he read the morning edition of Washington Post. The accident involving two Malaysian citizens actually touched his Malaysian sentiment. Even before he touched breakfast he was already on the phone with the Malaysian Embassy. He was lucky because the Malaysian ambassador, Datuk Jamsari was already in his office. 

 Datuk Jamsari received the call. He sounded cheerful. 

"Hmm... Mr. Daljit, what's the occasion for this early morning call?" Datuk Jamsari asked. 

"Actually, Datuk, I'm doing a follow-up story."

"What about, Mr. Daljit?"

"Have you read the Washington Post, Datuk?"

"Oh, the one about an accident that involves two Malaysians?"

"Mm-hmm. So... what's your comment, Datuk?"

"Make it this way, Mr. Daljit. It's still early in the morning. I have not received any information on the incident. However, I promise to investigate the matter," Datuk Jamsari said. 

"According to the Washington Post... the Malaysian was driving while in a drunk condition," Daljit pressed on a little. 

Datuk Jamsari laughed. "I can't comment on anything yet."

"If that's the case... I'll call you again, Datuk."

"Okay..." Datuk Jamsari agreed.

Then Daljit continued with his work, Typing a story based on the newspaper he had read earlier. He included his review on the opinions of the paper's editor who accused outsiders as the cause for the escalating rate of traffic accident and connected it to the rising crime rate in the country. Daljit, too, put down his personal opinion on the matter.

Daljit looked at his wristwatch soon as he finished. 

"There's still time to make tomorrow's press." Daljit started the process to send the story by computer to Sinar Harian's head office in Kuala Lumpur. He hooked the telephone line to the computer's modem interface. He then pressed the transfer button. The send process took less than 15 seconds. 

Daljit disconnected the cable from the computer and re-connect it to the main socket. He made a long distance call to Kuala Lumpur. He spoke to Zian Johari, Chief Editor for Sinar Harian/Sunday in Kuala Lumpur, to make sure that the news he sent had actually been received by the head office's computer in Kuala Lumpur. Daljit was glad that the send process went through without a glitch. That meant the story would make it for tomorrow morning's edition. 

Soon as he ended the call, Daljit contacted Gabriel. The phone at the other end rang for quite awhile before it was picked up. 

"Gabriel. I'm going to New York today." Daljit said as soon as he heard Gabriel's voice. He no longer called Gabriel with 'Mr.' at the front. Daljit could feel that they had become closer now that they had dropped the word 'Mr.' In fact, Gabriel, too, had stopped referring to Daljit as 'Mr. Daljit'.

"What's up in New York, Daljit? Sounds urgent," Gabriel asked. 

"It's about a story."

"Yeah... what story?"

"Two Malaysians were involved in an accident."

"Oh... is that so?" Gabriel faked a surprised. 

"Read this morning's Washington Post."

"Hmm... okay."

Daljit stepped out of Gabriel's apartment at around 10.45 a.m and went straight to Dulles Washington International Airport, about 35 kilometers from the city.

***********************************************************************************************

MALAYSIA HIGH COMMISION OFFICE WASHINGTON D.C.

3.00 p.m.

IT was only after she had finished her work that Mia Sara was able to read the Washington Post. The front page story about an accident involving two Malaysian citizens caught her eye. Her heart beat raced when she read the name Hilman. She remembered and connected the accident with her dream last night. Maybe it was her instinct or was it just a coincidence. 

Nevertheless, the accident caused her to worry. More so when she read that Hilman's daughter, Jeslina, was also involved in the accident. And what was shocking was that Hilman was accused with drunk driving.

Impossible! Mia Sara protested in silence. She never believed the accusation that Hilman drove under the influence of alcohol and had caused the accident to happen. Without thinking further, Mia Sara went to see Datuk Jamsari in his office. 

"What's the matter, Sara? You look... emm... pale," Datuk Jamsari asked soon as he told Mia Sara to take a seat.

"I'm fine, Datuk," Mia Sara was quick to reply. 

"So... what can I do for you?" Datuk Jamsari asked. 

"I... want to go on leave, Datuk."

"Leave?" Datuk Jamsari frowned. 

"Emergency leave, Datuk."

Datuk Jamsari stare at Mia Sara. It caused Mia Sara to feel uneasy. However, Mia Sara had been in service with Datuk Jamsari far too long to understand what he really wanted with that look of his. But, how to tell him?

"I'm sorry, Sara. I can't approve your leave. We still have many unfinished work to do," Datuk Jamsari said. 

"But... my friend had met with an accident in New York, Datuk," Mia Sara still had hopes. 

"Oh, that news in Washington Post?"

Mia Sara nodded.

Datuk Jamsari sighed. He found it hard to decide. Mia Sara, in turn, tried to avoid eye contact with Datuk Jamsari. 

"I'm sorry, Sara. You can visit your friend this weekend." Datuk Jamsari was firm not to approve Mia Sara's emergency leave. "Furthermore, it doesn't involve a family member. Just a friend, right?"

Mia Sara nodded weakly. Disappointed. 

"Never mind, Datuk. Maybe I'll go to New York this weekend." Mia Sara said in a flat tone. She tried to hide her grief. In fact, she couldn't even look Datuk Jamsari in the eye.

"I'm so sorry, Sara," Datuk Jamsari said. 

"It's okay, Datuk."

Mia Sara left Datuk Jamsari's office. She went straight to the restroom. There she poured out her sorrow. She sobbed uncontrollably. 

Sara! Stop dreaming! Mia Sara looked at her face in the mirror. 

What's happening to me? Why must I be sad for Hilman? He has a wife, hasn't he? What would his wife say when she sees me there? I'm just a friend. Yes! A friend. Yes... his heart is in mine. How could I forget about Hilman? He's a fine guy. Mia Sara interviewed herself. And, finally, she decided that she won't go to New York after all. Not even during the weekend. Her decision was based on some excuses that she thought logic after some considerations with her sound mind. 

Hopefully, Hilman would be safe. So, too, for his daughter. She would treat her heart's disappointment by surrounding herself with work that should be completed by tomorrow.