46

MANHATTAN, NEW YORK

15 October 2000 - 1.05 p.m.

BESIDE London, New York City is also flooded with streams of immigrants from all over the world. Some come legally but most who came to this metropolitan city are illegals. Their purposes, though, are same - to seek a better life in this land of opportunity. Some do businesses or work officially but there are those who involve themselves in illegal businesses or enrol in secret societies.

This afternoon, Ruben had calling to eat food from the Asian Region in a Pakistani Restaurant. He was tired of western food, be it American or European such as Italian food found in Little Italy, an area near E Houston Road and Elizabeth, not far from SoHo and TriBeCa in the west, Alphabet City in the east and Chinatown south of Manhattan. Little Italy is located at the center. 

Ruben had, earlier, wanted to eat in a Chinese restaurant, but changed his mind all of a sudden when he passed by the Pakistani Restaurant. For a moment, before stepping in, he stood still watching the restaurant's staff went about their work. The joint still maintained its Islamic ambience. All of a sudden, he remembered his new friend, Abdul Maleeq ben Auf in Washington. He remembered the meals he had at his new friend's home. Chicken briyani with dhal curry really whetted his appetite that time. 

Ruben was a bit jolted when a man greeted him, polite and smiling, and invited him to enter the restaurant. Ruben entered without thinking further and found a seat at a corner near the counter. The man who was a waiter at the restaurant got a menu and handed it to Ruben. Without looking at the menu, Ruben ordered chicken briyani with dhal curry and a glass of dates juice. Usually, those who had never ate in an Asian restaurant would ask this and that before ordering. It was different with Ruben, whom, he thought was familiar with food from his own country or from other Arab countries. 

After the waiter had gone, Ruben watched the other waiters went about their chores in the restaurant. Some looked at him and flashed their smiles, some were eating their lunches with relish never minding the people around them. Songs sung by Pascale added to the restaurant's zmbience. Whatever the reason, Ruben felt a little calmed. As though he was among his own ethnic group.

While waiting for his food and drink to be served, Ruben thought about Hilman. Evidently, the man was a better fighter when they fought the previous day. He had never seen the fighting style used by Hilman before. His hand movements and leg works were swift and instant - though they seemed spontaneous and soft. He had to admit defeat. Hilman's hold on his neck was like an iron grip that could break his cord. But Hilman did not do it. Instead, Hilman left him without injuring him. If Hilman was a 'criminal' like he was said to be, Ruben would have died or at least suffered a serious injury. 

'You hid the truth'. Hilman's voice echoed in Ruben's ears. Ruben admitted that, he was hiding he truth. 

'Yeah... I've seen your cowardice grow from the beginning.'

Ruben sighed heavily. The accusation was true. He was a coward because he was afraid to uncover the turth. Afraid? Ruben shook his head. He was actually caught between duty and gratitude. 

All of the sudden, when the truth and deceit weighted down his thoughts, Abdul Maleeq ben Auf appeared in his memory. It was true what his new friend had said - we must uphold the truth wherever we are and in any situation. Truth could complicate things and it needed courage, strength and faith. God's truth would oversome the deceit whispered by the devil. Pure truth would destroy all worldly pleasures shrouded by falsehood. According to Maleeq, the walls of hell are built with the pleasures of the world while the walls of paradise are built with all the bitterness of the world. All these are God's trial for man.

And it's up to us to chose between the two, Maleeq said. Because man was created with an extraordinary strength compared to other beings. And would transform to the lowest, lower than an animal, should he abused the intelligence gifted to humbly God. He's free to choose his direction, but he shall be responsible and bear all the consequences over his deeds in this world. This world is but temporary, whilst the afterlife is forever.